ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
Is there a code that a house of a certain size needs to be equipped with a certain type of electrical service?

Looking at a new house whose standard service is 100 amps. In order to upgrade any electric in the house - multiple high hats, electric ovens, christmas lights, pool, the home will certianly require more powerful service like 150 or 200a service.

Is this the builders or purchasers responsibility on a home this size?

M
mj Offline
general lighting, 3 volt/amps per sq ft 3400 3 is 10200 va ,is 42.5 amps, you have to add all your appliance loads, heat or ac, the largest of the two. when you add in all the factors you will need at the least 150 service . see art 220, for calcalations examples

W
If you had gas appliances and heat are you sure it would calculate to 150 amp minimum? I think what is most important in this situation is that the NEC is not a design manual, and its minimum requirements do not always provide an adequate installation, only one esentially free of hazards. The extra cost of the larger service in a house of that size would be quickly amortized. Install a 200 amp minimum service.

F
i am doing work in a 6000sq' house w/ a 200amp service. elec dryer, oven hot tub outside, 76 amps of a/c, 7 refers, etc and we are finishing the basement to add another 2000 ft. service is underground 300 ft away and x-former in on other side of driveway and cobblestone walkway that was just done. BTY house is just 3 months old. can't wait to give them a price for service upgrade.

Link Copied to Clipboard