ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Here's a solution I came up with to GFCI protect the receptacles on a second story eave for Christmas lighting.

A GFCI module and a simple light switch so the HO can simply turn the lights on and off. What do you think?

Matt

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

L
Good idea.

K
Neat.
Is that a Cooper dead front gfci?
That looks a lot cleaner than the Leviton and P&S I normally use. cool

[Linked Image]

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
S
Good concept. Just carious though. Is that you on an aluminium ladder doing electrical work? smirk

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
W
In both my home and my brothers home, I installed a 2 ckt time switch next to the breaker panel. All receptacles on the front of the house, including those under the porch eves, are wired thru the switch. I also wired the center porch light thru the switch (there are 3 small can lights) I also mounted 2 sp switches below the time switch. During the Christmas season the switches are left off. All the receptacles are controlled by the timer. The rest of the year, they are on bypassing the timer, making all the receptacles hot, allowing use of tools and such. Robert

M
Don't remember the manufacturer of the GFCI module, it came off the Lowe's shelf.

Yes that's an aluminum ladder, HOWEVER she (my wife, business partner, and licensed apprentice) was working on de-energized 12-2wg, simply making the pigtails and installing the cut-in boxes and receptacles.

The circuit runs to the GFCI, the neutral continues from load side of GFCI to the receptacles and the hot runs (from load side of GFCI) through the switch and on to the receptacles.

Concerning the ladder, I do have a picture of me doing a tie-in from hot triplex to service pole. Ofcourse that's from a fiberglass ladder.

Should have seen my wife's face the first time I said "Watch this". Showed her the circuit for a light ficture was hot, was standing on a 6'fiberglass ladder (making sure not to be grounded), and touched the hot conductor. PRICELESS!

Matt

S
I see, you use the fiberglass ladder and the wife uses the aluminium... wink

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Z
Funny thing sparkyinak, that's exactly what I was thinking...

R
[Should have seen my wife's face the first time I said "Watch this". Showed her the circuit for a light ficture was hot, was standing on a 6'fiberglass ladder (making sure not to be grounded), and touched the hot conductor.] PRICELESS!

One time I "made sure" I wasn't grounded, and my knee touched a control cabinet while I was working on a 480 volt system. Hello 277, goodbye dirty underwear!

Last edited by Redsy; 12/22/07 09:20 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard