ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
The selectivity of the law state by state is definately confuseing and at times comical. When I recently left alaska (Municipality of Anchorage) any homeowner there was allowed to pull any permit and DIY, except for one.

You could wire/plumb/duct...set gas fired appliances...install infloor/ceiling heat...tile/brick/block...pour foundations..etc,etc...

The only thing a homeowner could not do was run gas lines within the premises....now think about that for just one second. I can install a furnace and run my own stack through the attic but can't run the 1/2" 7-PSI gas line to feed it? Gas lines are required to hold a 60-PSI pressure test for 24 hours prior to the final inspection...so how is 7-PSI going to leak after that?

Ehhhh...whatever, just goes to show the whimsical nature of enforcement and the codes at times. (also that the boiler fitters have a very strong union up there). I could go on to quote some horror stories about owner built dwellings up there that passed inspection but that would be getting a bit too far off topic.

I agree that license reciprocity is a long overlooked issue that should be addressed. Alaska is now finally reciprocal with three other states, none of which I am currently living in. County by county licenseing and city licenseing should have disappeared at least twenty years ago. This is a ridiculous situation when by driving 20 miles in the wrong direction your license is no longer valid.

All "State" testing should conform to the same standards and should allow you to work anywhere provided that you buy a license for the state you happen to be in at the time. Yes you should have to renew your license every two years and yes you should have to show CEC credits of at least 16 hours every two years before you can renew (or just retake the test to renew). If you give the beancounters at least that much control they would probably be happy with it.

What worries me is just how many of these "unlicensed" workers might once have been one of us. Todays economics being what it is with so many living payday to payday and falling prey to the instant credit industry...who is to say that some of these advertisers aren't skilled? Just something to think about.....

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
B
Ausador wrote: "All "State" testing should conform to the same standards and should allow you to work anywhere provided that you buy a license for the state you happen to be in at the time."

Several Issues:
1) To operate as an EC business the prospective owner should have a higher threshold of competence (business issues as well as trade work) than just paying a fee and arranging a bond. And yes it should be streamlined for reciprocity.

2) To work as an employee of an EC shouldn't require anything more than the confidence of the employer that you have the competence to do the assigned work. They are the ones who have their tail over the fire to warranty what is being done by their employees.

(I'm not aware of any J-card holding mechanic having any liability for work done as an employee of a licensed/insured EC.)

3) This gets us into the "states rights" political arena because electrical work is just a drop in the bucket of all the areas of life where the rules change by driving as little as 20 miles in one direction.

Design-Build isn't supposed to mean design *as* you build.
K
When you are hired as licensed electrician, your license is representation to an employer that you have acquired a certain minimum level of trade related skill and competence and are capable of performing at least minimal code compliant installation practices, reading plans and following written or verbal instructions, etc…
An electrical contractor can be found not to be responsible, or at least not entirely, for work performed by a licensed employee if it can be shown that the employee did the work without the direct knowledge, instruction or supervision of the electrical contractor. This is not a scapegoat for contractors, but you can sometimes be held accountable, at least in part, for the work you perform as an employee. shocked

Also, at least to me, it would seem more logical that an individual states “rights” would be better served and protected through actual uniform state regulation and licensing requirements, not through segmented, non-standardardized county and city jurisdictional regulation and licensing. smile

Regards

B
KJay wrote: "When you are hired as licensed electrician, your license is representation to an employer that you have acquired a certain minimum level of trade related skill and competence...."

I didn't really intend to imply otherwise.

My point remains tho that the EC still has the responsibility (and self interest) to *confirm* what the guy "represents" to actually be true. Which is why most EC's will still give their own test and question the prospect when interviewing.

But having that card sure makes it easier for the guys who bounce around. wink

Design-Build isn't supposed to mean design *as* you build.
L
I agree that license reciprocity is a long overlooked issue that should be addressed.--

We reciprocate with only a few states, mainly based on the code cycle they operate with. This is foolish. Work under the cycle enforced in that state.

All Licenses should be State wide and uniform.
This will insure that the State still gets its greedy lil' hands on all revenue due,yet the trades will know what the rules are.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard