ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#172274 12/17/07 11:21 AM
Z
Zapped Offline OP
Does anybody here know where I can get parts for a Challenger panleboard? I can't seem to track down a manufacturer web site that might contain part number info, model descriptions and part numbers, line drawings, etc.

Specifically, I'm trying to replace the busbar assembly in a panelboard (sub panel) that got smoked. Replacement of the entire panel is an option, but it's installed in plaster with EMT coming into the top and bottom, and I would like to be able to save my customer a few $$ and myself a few headaches. The rest of the hardware in the panel appears to be a-ok, and no other components were scorched in the incident.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

S
I tried a couple of years ago to find parts. No dice. I would reccomend repacing the panel.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
S
Could you buy a new panelboard of the same type and re-use the guts?

K
I may be wrong, but I think ITE Challenger may have been absorbed by Siemens. I wouldn’t recommend it but you could see if a new Siemens panel bus would match up. The neutral bars are probably in a different location in a new Siemens panel. If I were going to be responsible for it though, I would just replace the whole panel and not have to worry about it coming back on me later. That’s the real headache. grin

What caused that bus to roast in the first place? loose connection?

S
Here is something that might help. I can't vouch for them as I have never used one of these. It looks like it might work in your situation.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/CHRetrofitGuide.pdf

That kinda reminds me of a piggy-back insert retrofits for flush exterior resi services that woulkd finish sort of semi-flush. I think Challenger or Sylvania had them years ago. make that decades ago.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
Z
Zapped Offline OP
Thanks for the tips everybody. As always, this forum and the helpful people on it are indispensable.

I suspect the fire was caused by an improperly seated 50A 2-pole main breaker. The feeders were not affected with scorching or melting of insulation, and the main breaker feeding this sub panel from the main panel did not trip and appears unaffected.

The bus below the main in the sub panel literally melted as the main breaker went belly-up.

This is on the back of the guard shack at an old community in Newport Beach, CA., and serves the usually lighting, vehicle gates, etc. Both of the panels looked pretty bad about 3 years ago when I first submitted a proposal for replacement of the entire electrical distribution system, but you know how that goes. They said it was too much money and not needed. After all, the houses in this community only average about $8 million (and I bet that estimate is low). I don't know how they make all that money, but I can guess how they keep it!

Thanks again my friends!

N
Originally Posted by KJay
I may be wrong, but I think ITE Challenger may have been absorbed by Siemens. I wouldn’t recommend it but you could see if a new Siemens panel bus would match up. The neutral bars are probably in a different location in a new Siemens panel. If I were going to be responsible for it though, I would just replace the whole panel and not have to worry about it coming back on me later. That’s the real headache. grin

What caused that bus to roast in the first place? loose connection?

I-T-E never owned Challenger, they were a offshoot of the GTE Sylvania Electrical Equipment Group, which before that was Zinsco Electrical Products, Westinghouse bought Challenger prior to Westinghouse selling all of their industrial divisions to concentrate on being a media company.

L
---"I would just replace the whole panel and not have to worry about it coming back on me later. That’s the real headache."---

This sums it up. Smart move! Do it.

---"This is on the back of the guard shack at an old community in Newport Beach, CA., and serves the usually lighting, vehicle gates, etc. Both of the panels looked pretty bad about 3 years ago when I first submitted a proposal for replacement of the entire electrical distribution system, but you know how that goes. They said it was too much money and not needed. After all, the houses in this community only average about $8 million (and I bet that "----

This backs it up! You were right. Patch it, live with it.
Do it right.Now you have the results to back it up.
It could get worse, Life safety, what if the attendant was snoozing or ...

K
Sorry if it seems like I'm beating a dead horse but...,

Every time a situation like the OP's comes along for me as well, I have to try and mentally sift through decades of manufactures buyouts, partnerships, mergers, etc. They all start to blend together after a while. crazy

I try and use OEM breakers whenever possible, so SQD should be happy, but in an attempt to try and comply with NEC requirements and the ever increasing list of defunct panel board manufactures, I also stock most sizes of both Cutler-Hammer CL classified and Thomas & Betts TB classified circuit breakers. These manufactures give explicit listed application and compatability information, but I find that there is still some other confusing application information out there.
Here are a few examples of what I am talking about.
I have been told over the years that Cutler-Hammer BR breakers are listed for use in Bryant panels. I could never find anything in writing to back this up.
I’ve also been told to use Siemens breakers in an ITE or Goulds panel. Again, I could never find anything in writing to verify this.
Murray breakers in Crouse-Hinds panel? Okay, but where can I find it in writing?

Is there a definitive list of all manufactures, both current and defunct, of suitable listed replacement circuit breakers, both classified or otherwise?

Does somebody have a list of corporate "family trees" for these companies?
Goulds/ITE/Siemens/GTE Sylvania/Zinsco/Challenger/GE/Bryant/Westinghouse/Cutler-Hammer/Murray/Crouse-Hinds/FPE/Wadsworth

Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard