ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
Working on commercial job,changed the service installed 200A. Done and inspected. Building has office, 2 restrooms and showroom. Pulled permit for office and restrooms. Roughed in, had it inspected. Two months later, owner called for finish work. Go back to do finish work, find old fuse panels (3) and old disconnect switch removed. These panels where being backfed from new panel. Store owner removed panels and removed conduit and wire! I finished office and restrooms. Stopped back week later to get paid, owner had showroom completely torn down and gutted! He is going to stud out the walls and frame out for new drywalled ceiling. There was eight surface fixtures installed on old ceiling, plus conduit and outlet wiring, and additional wiring. He tore it all down. He called one of City inspectors and was told he could remove abandoned conduit and wiring after I had finished the "office" rough in. So from there he felt he could do the rest of building and showroom. He feels that if he removes power from circuit, then it is abandoned wiring, and he can remove it.
I feel that was all work my company should have done! His family has been friends for many years, he has referred work to me, but over the years I have done the same and helped with many other things for him. I feel USED again, this seems to be a common thing. With work being very slow around here, I could use the work, but I am considering going to City inspector and report him. He gets fined and I am the jurk! Anybody else have this type of situation, and what is defined as abandoned wiring??
P.S. For commercial work you must be a licensed contractor here, he is a handy guy and his Kids are licensed plumbers, who did all the plumbing. So too save more money lets screw the electrician! That's what I deal with around here!!!

Irish:
Comm work here (NJ) requires Lic EC and plans and permits.
AS to your situation, I'm sure that has happened to most all of us over the years.
Yes, people here 'sneak' work, both comm and resi.
As to defininition of abandonded....basically 'no longer in use'. Safe off and identify if being left in place for future use.
Reporting the guy is your personal decision.

John
Cat Servant
The guy disconnected and demolished? Good riddance, I say.

I never really thought of such as being a problem. For example, I would never get upset if a demolition contractor killed the main, and sawed it all apart.

I just don't see that as 'electric work' exclusively reserved for electricians.

Now .... putting it all back together is another matter ...

Z
If you're asking for personal advise, I wouldn't get too flustered by this. We all try to save a few bucks here and there. I've fixed my own sink, and don't expect my plumber friends to get worked up over losing the possible $$.

I'd bite my lip and try not to burn any bridges. Tough times are no time to be shooting yourself in the foot. Tomorrow is another day...

Good Luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard