ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 276 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#172159 12/14/07 08:48 PM
I finally took a camera with me out to work... Here's a bit of the fun I came across....

I was requested to replace the light fixture here... it keeps cycling off/on all night and they say it's cheaper to buy a new fixture than a ballast kit (I've already relamped it once a week ago)
[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

After that I swung around to the front to see the light fixture and noticed there wasn't much keeping the 15KVA transformer in the air!

transformer name and data plate.... I've never heard of this brand before, but I like the spaceship smile

Just because, I decided to take a peek in the disconnect for the light... Ugh! fused neutral! among other things!

Well... Now I decide to take a peek in the disco for the control building, and lo and behold..... (The #12 double taps go to the previous disco)

Really good (errr, BAD!) place to keep a spare fuse!

more to come!

Randy

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
You think that the someone would be more serious with their electrical especially at a facility like that. Go figure.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
In actuality, they are pretty serious about things out here... This (along with alot of other leases owned by the company we're working for) have been passed from owner to owner many times, starting life as Unocal Oil. As alot of the Midway Sunset leases were developed between the 40's - 70's, we come across all kinds of strange ideas. This facility is from the 60's, and has likely been operating like this since then. The current lease owner has had possession for about 3 years now and is steadily coming across these things and cleaning them up as they show.... After alerting them to the fused neutrals and the barely up there transformer, I'm told we'll be addressing them this coming week. smile (Oil is about $90/barrel... it's not like they're broke or something!)

F
Randy .,,

What the 15 KVA transformer feeding for?? for the parking lot luminares only ???

IMO only for parking lot luminaires you can get rid of those 15 KVA pots

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

Marc, the 15KVA is also feeding a control building for the water plant (you can see part of it in the 1st pic, the last disco with the 80A fuses is for the control building subpanel! PLC's and computers on a fused neutral crazy

J
That spare fuse in the disconnect gives me the willies. I guess in phase to phase short, it would blow. Nice pictures.

jrclen #172537 12/20/07 09:59 PM
The white tape on the neutral fuse doesn't make it code complaint?

noderaser #172551 12/21/07 01:34 AM
S
It is to. The tape holds the fuse together so it will not blow. Duuuh! crazy

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
M
I am very concerned that a 120 or 240 volt light is mounted above the HV conductors. My overhead standards book requires around 3 or more meters vertical separation. Anyone servicing that fixture has to break a lot of rules to work there. Close limits of approach, Hot stick work and line trucks to change light bulbs.
The main switch should be rated or equiped with a neutral block and should be marked for use as a service entry.

mikesh #172592 12/21/07 09:33 PM
B
Originally Posted by mikesh
I am very concerned that a 120 or 240 volt light is mounted above the HV conductors.
I initially thought the same thing, but looking at the first picture more closely it looks like those overheads are actually the 480 feeds to the transformer primary. I've never seen cutouts in low-voltage distribution but, then again, what I know about O/H I could write on a matchbook.

-John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard