ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mj Offline OP
guys, any tricks to adding circuits to a panel that is not accessible? besides cutting holes in the sheet rock or fishing, in other way of getting into the panel to add more circuits ?

C
Wiremold?

I use a "snaking trick" that is pretty effective in these situations. I know you said "besides snaking" but I dont know how you could avoid it (besides surface wiring).

I take a roll of mason's string and tie a heavy nut or screw on the end. I then dump a pile of string into the wall cavity (the string just falls into the wall space by gravity). I then take my metal fish tape and grab the string from the other end.

I'm sure you have all heard of this trick but for anyone that hasn't, it can be a real lifesaver. It's really great when working alone.

Peter
M
mj Offline OP
ctwireman, thanks for the wiremold idea, i did not think of wiremold as a raceway from a panel .

Caution:

Using anything metal for snaking into a panel can prove to be very hazardous.

Bill

Bill
M
mj Offline OP
roger that, bill, i dont like fishing into live panels,

C
Yes, of course, ALWAYS de-energize before using this method, even if you have to pull the meter.

I don't like to snake into live enclosures but have had to do it on occasion (with someone on the other end of course!)

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 11-21-2002).]

Peter
R
As an old cable puller from way back, my boss used to always say, why thread that needle twice.

unless you are the VERY FIRST one to pull an add on, ddisconnect someone elses and use it as a pull cord for yours.

But that brings a new question to mind.
lets say I fish a new 12/2 romex wire through the wall from the attic. and connect it into the pannel board.

did I just violate the wire securing rule of 12" from the pannel board.??? posibliy the 4.5 ft rule????

good questions, any inspectors out there???

S
The panel covers 1/2" overlap has been an asset to me here....
[Linked Image]

RandyO, check 334.30(B)(1)

Steve, Yup, that's how I do it... Cut as close to the edge of the cover as you can...

How else to tighten the NMC Connector screws?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
G
What I do after running romex into the panel is use a plastic romex connector, the type that has a small wedge to secure the wire, and put it on the wire backwards, then I snap it into the knockout from inside the panel. Now the wire has a secure safe connection. No one ever said these connectors had to be on the outside and it eliminates the problem trying to get a locknut on a metal connector. BTW my fiberglass fish-sticks are a lifesaver doing this type of work!

[This message has been edited by gto6t7 (edited 11-23-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard