ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 468 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KJay #172276 12/17/07 11:43 AM
E
Originally Posted by KJay
Personally, I don’t think I want to hold one side of that little plastic piece of crap in each hand while energized when I remake the ballast connection. Especially not under any load and even more so with 277v. eek

JMHO

That's exactly the first thing that I thought of when I saw these devices for the first time. I'm not even crazy about the little connectors that plug into the backs of smoke detectors. The NEC is a great reference to ensure suitable quality and uniform standards. Sadly, it's become nothing more than a manufacturer's marketplace as they waste our time continually reinventing the wheel every three to six years.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

F
here is the other kind of connector so that one of extra item we are talking about.

Merci, Marc

Let me add the other type of connector i rather used on the MWBC's multilever connector

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 12/18/07 12:53 AM. Reason: add more info

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

A
Personally I can recall several instances where the female "sleeve's" on this type of quick-connect have backed out of the plastic body upon my attempt to plug them together with thier male half. Typically the female sleeve relies on to two tiny tabs 180 degrees apart to arrest it once pushed into the connector body.

Wiggling the male and female halves to get them to mate (which we all do whenever the pins don't line up perfectly)can easily result in the sleeve tabs slipping. Especially when the hole size in the body of the connector is not tightly controlled. (yeah, but don't worry yang-fu in whoflungdung china will be looking out for you....err...right?)

With 277 volt lighting especially there is no way these things are going to make me feel safe when working on live ballasts. To the contrary they are going to make me very worried and probably cause me to cut the power short of the quick connector before working on them.

my $0.02

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard