ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
All 15 and 20 amp, 125 and 250 volt non-locking receptacles in wet or damp locations will be required to be a listed weather-resistant type.

Just putting it out for comments.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
Isn't that what the while in use weatherproof cover is for. Wonder what will make the recep itself "weather-resistant".

R
Wonder what will make the recep itself "weather-resistant".

The metal parts are more corrosion resistant and the plastic parts are more UV resistant. Even with the cover there is more dampness to corrode the metal parts of a receptacle that is installed in a wet location

Don(resqcapt19)
G
This may actually be one of the best changes in the 2008. I know we have all seen an outside receptacle that fell apart when you took it out of the box. That may not be true in a dry place like Arizona but it is certainly true down here in Florida.

Greg Fretwell
S
The ones I pulled out they fell apart were due to:

*Cheap devices
*Improper installation of box and or cover
*Improper WP cover
*Improper use of WP cover
*Broken cover
*Poor constuction around the box

I live in a rain forest between a sponge and rain clouds in a wetter climate then FLA. Recepts properly installed and properly used typically fair pretty good. The yokes may dis-color but we use de-ox on all of our connections and we effectively ground the device. I personally use good, quality device. When done right, they do pretty good up here.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
L
Am I reading this right?
(I think so)

406.8.1 (B)-- Exception. In a car wash or lab area that gets hosed down,you can use the Wet location cover we have been useing for ever?

G
Sparky, I agree on #1 on your list and this weather proof receptacle will make that problem go away.

Greg Fretwell
K
Who makes a NEMA WD 6-2002 receptacle?
I haven’t seen weather resistant receptacles for this purpose advertised anywhere yet.
Do these come in GFCI receptacles also?

TKX

G
There is an article in the IAEI magazine this month about this and the tamper proofs. It doesn't seem to be up on the web site yet but basically they say weather resistants will be available in GFCI and tamper proof (identified with "TR" and "WR" on the face).

Greg Fretwell
K
Hi Greg,
Is it just me, or does it seem that manufactures are dragging their feet in making all of these newly required devices available, such as, Combo AFCI cb’s, WR and TR receptacles?
It seems that they knew these were going to be required, in large quantity, long before 01/01/08 came around. I’m having a hard time trying to understand why they did not ramp up R&D and production in advance of a well-known “deadline”, sort of speak. Do they not concern themselves with the fact that construction and renovation projects may be tied up, waiting until they are good and ready to unveil their highly anticipated and long overdue code required offerings?
This seems very irresponsible on their part. confused

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard