ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 521 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
That begs the question as to what is a better quality Arc-Fault breaker. The general opinion is they are pointless to begin with.

S
One that trips on an arc fault and doesn't trip when light bulbs blow or motors age would be better quality than what's out there now.

The code comission has already been vindicated on the decision, though- so many wiring errors and wiring damage have been discovered in new construction through the now-mandatory arc-fault breakers that even if they don't detect a single arc-fault in this nation in the next 50 years, a large number of fires, shocks and lost lives have been prevented through this alone.

Cat Servant
Steve, could you substantiate that assertion, especially as regards 'wire damage?'

S
I was referring to damage done to wiring during the installation process- nails penetrating the sheathing, drywallers sanding off the installation, etc. Damage that's often hidden behind covering and impossible to see. I made the comment after reading what Mike Holt wrote in last month's ECM, but he only cited "supporters", so I can't substantiate this but so much. I'd imagine that most of the damage discovered due to the new laws would be detected by the GFCI portion of the AFCI breakers.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 12/21/07 12:55 PM.
T
I have experience with standard circuit breakers tripping occasionally when a light bulb fails. I don't see this as an AFCI issue.

Dave

G
I think most "wiring errors" that trip AFCIs and didn't trip a regular breaker are neutral to ground faults. I doubt that ever caused a fire.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard