ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Whats a good priced voltage performance monitor, line recorder, power quality data logger, etc.

I need just a simple one, as inexpensive as possible. If you know the estimated price that would be great too. Thanks.

Probably will only get used once in a blue moon.

** From looking real quickly this is what I have found at about $500.
http://www.idealindustries.com/prod...y_meters/voltage_performance_monitor.jsp

I'm not sure if thats what I need. I would like to log the service of a medium size office.

Last edited by Trick440; 12/12/07 09:35 AM.

Shake n Bake
Trick:
I use(d) the Amprobe Digimatic....Voltage, amperage, time.
No printout, all digital with battery b/u.
Unit has CT's and voltage clip-ons, and requires 120 volt power to plug-in.

I still have it. Send me a PM or e-mail if you are interested.

John
K
Trick440,

From what I can gather from the downloaded instruction manual, it looks like that Ideal unit may only be good for single phase, maybe even only an individual branch circuit. I think you would need to be able to monitor all phases at once to get an accurate account of what is happening in a commercial setting.
I have been looking around for a new PQ meter myself and so far, the one that offers the most features and bang for the buck is the Extech 382090.
At $1995.00 it is full featured, can log up to 20,000 readings, shows PF and 1-27 harmonics. It also comes complete with four current clamps for true 3-phase monitoring, a set of standard alligator test leads, carrying case, batteries and software for downloading data to your computer. The software is an important item, because you really have to be able to print out and show the test results to the customer. Especially if you are going to make recommendations for expensive changes to be made.
All the new Fluke units I have looked at are well over $4000.00. That is just too much for a small company to purchase just for occasional use. I think this may be why many electrical contractors leave this type of work to others who specialize in the PQ field. smile
Regards

Link Copied to Clipboard