ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
mj,

was the building in question was operating at some sort of 140/100 (or similar)voltages....

C
some threads to bond with:

Water Pipe GE

Gas Pipe Bonding

M
mj Offline OP
sparky, it was a resident 120/240 single phase, i call the po company eng, and he coulnt not tell me why the broken netural caused voltage to read 120 volt to ground

B
mj,have seen this problem,is the service overhead and is the pole close to the water
meter.if the soil is moist enough the return path is through the water line to the poco pole bond,all of the "neutrals"on the poco system are bonded together the pole bond is connected to the "neutral system on the pole in our service area

R
Bob,
Exactly how would that raise the water meter to 120 volts above earth?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Broom Pusher and
Been wondering about the 120 VAC also!!!
Have to get this figured out so I can sleep at night! [Linked Image]
[i.e.: laying awake running different scenarios thru my mind].

Since the Water Meter is still connected, this does not equate to the "Commonly" occuring shock related to an Open Grounded Neutral Conductor at the service.
This would result in a potential of 120 VAC (+/-) measured between the Input and Output sides of the Water Main (where the Meter goes), with the meter removed.

Sounds like possibly could be one or more of the following:

<OL TYPE=A>

[*]Non-Metallic section of pipe on City's Input side of meter, and this Electrical Service has open grounded neutral connection at the service, or re-ground bonded neutral(s) on load side of service,
or

[*]Non-Metallic section of pipe on the output side of all meters - except one - and the one with complete metallic pipe has open Gr. Cond. at service,
or

[*]Finding 120 VAC with open Gr. Cond. at service because water lines are not bonded to GES,
or

[*]Once again, need to call an exorcist!!!
</OL>

<Personal Rantings>
Situations like this are why I dislike using a multi connected C.W. Grounding Electrode, but would prefer isolating the C.W. lines from the City's main with a Non-Metallic pipe section and just bond the metallic water pipes
</Personal Rantings>

As said before by members, a Water Well is one heck of a kick-a** Grounding Electrode.
Combine a Ufer type Electrode with a Water Well, and you have a solid Grounding System which would help out alot with Lightning Discharges, plus isolate the System from problems created by / on a multi connected grounding electrode scheme, and / or brought in from distant areas.
[lightning comes to mind again].

Just some eccentric thinking again!

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
H
I had one that had 178 volts to ground but it was the neutral at the primary side of the transformer that went bad. and must of been bad for some time as it took long enough to burn off two ground rods and the concetric neutral that was shielding the hv cable feeding the transformer. the underground water pipes had to be replaced too as they were about gone. if everything would of totaly open to ground then it would of caused a fire or probly got someone killed as the grounding system that was left could of gone as high as the primary hot 7200 volts. this is one reasone that I dont like the poco's bonding the neutral of the primarys to the neutral of the secondarys on transformers

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard