ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#171962 12/09/07 06:40 PM
H
HEI_Inc Offline OP
While browing thru the brochure for the ElectricWest show I came across an advertisement for a product names an Energy Bank Unit manufactured by DMI Manufacturing, Inc. It guarantees to reduce your electric bill by 11-30%.

How it works: The EBU removes irregularities from the electricity supplied by the power grid. It stores energy internally until needed by any electrical device - a light, television, computer, motor, refrigerator, etc. Power factor correction to 0.99. 18-36 month payback

Any opinions ? Would this be more suited for businesses that utilize large motors ? Or is it another vodoo box ?

http://www.ebunit.com/

I'd sure hate to be answering all the electrical contractors' questions about this Snake Oil Voodoo Box at that show.

Cat Servant
Alas, save for one exception (not relevant here), EVERY 'energy savings' product I've ever seen has been far, far less effective than the 'simple math' promised by the sales propaganda. The promise to save a dollar usually turns out to be a nickel- or less frown

The first issue is that there has to be a problem, before you can 'fix' it. Very few electricians have either the expertise, or equipment, to quantify power supply issues.

Next is the matter of having a true, 'double blind' test. Trust me on this: if a firm spends big bucks to 'save energy,' the message will get out, and peoples' behavior will change. We have no way of telling if the savings are the result of the magic box, or the changes in behavior.

Finally .... despite all the very real "Cindarella success stories" we hear .... the Apples, the Polaroids, the Lears .... you can be sure that the major manufacturers are not paying their acres of design folks to sit around, debating what shade of gray to use on their switchgear! That the GE's, the Eatons, the Schneiders all manage to consistently overlook such a promising product ought to be a major 'red flag.'

R
Take a look at this one.
he Power Optimizerâ„¢ works to reduce heat and electrical vibration by stabilizing the current and training the electrons to flow more efficiently. The result is a lengthening of the electric wave and a narrowing of the flow along the center path of the conductor. A more efficient current meeting less resistance along the path of the conductor gets more of the purchased power directly to the workload.

Don(resqcapt19)
W
Don,
you have never seen trained electrons?? I have the ones in my house trained, if anyone touches them they are trained to bite. HA HA Seriously if it sounds too good to be true it usualy is.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
T
The result is a lengthening of the electric wave
*lol* mathematically that means you decrease the frequency... good idea! wink
So far all of these miracle boxes either contained PFC capacitors (useless in a household with kWh meter, only good in an industrial setup with kvarh metering, or plain snake oil.

R
Originally Posted by resqcapt19
The result is a lengthening of the electric wave and a narrowing of the flow along the center path of the conductor.

Wouldn't lengthening a sine wave turn it into an oval? smile

Roger

S
My favorite "voo-doo box" is the long lasting light bulb crazy

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
P
Yep, I see the Energy Bank Unit goes for power factor correction as well, but is still aimed at domestic use as well as commercial.

Is there anywhere in the world that actually penalizes residential users for low power factor? I've never heard of it.

Link Copied to Clipboard