ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
A
Incidents also include children putting their fingers in the outlet. Only way that can happen is if the outlet is broken, or without a cover and the side wiring is exposed.
I just put the information out there and let the market decide if they want them.
The numbers also jump between 50 cents and two dollars an outlet depending on the source listed in the information from electrical safety institute.
Good products don't need a hard sell.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Gentlemen:
FWIW, in the weekend advertisements, one of the BIG box stores (Blue or Orange) had TP devices featured!! The pricing was not 'outrageous', but more than the .35 cent cheapo's. I'll look in the recycle pile for the ad tonite.

John
G
Home Depot only had them in Decora today They were new and not priced on the shelf.

Greg Fretwell
H
OK, How many people out there have a surge suppressor plug strip? Now what happens to the TR receptacle? I am not against safety, I am just tired of manufactures shoving their products down our throats.

S
The obvious solution is TR surge supressors! Just wait, I'm sure they're coming.

Cat Servant
Harold has a good point.

Not only is the TR idea completely irrelevant once a power strip is plugged in - ever pause to count how many you have in your home? - but some power strip designs do not lend themselves to easy modification.

Take this style, for example:

[Linked Image from ecx.images-amazon.com]

Naturally, this unique design came about as a way to address the many plug-in transformers we have.

This is what happens when we get into design work.

As pointed out in a recent column in "Electrical Contractor," the TR requirement applies to nearly every receptacle in a home - it looks like they may have overlooked the attic. Whether the receptacle is inaccessible (behind the dishwasher), well out of reach (garage door opener), or otherwise protected (outdoor with a bubble cover) does not matter.

Last edited by renosteinke; 06/24/08 09:55 AM.
K
Well, I can now say with confidence that it’s official… TR receptacles for residential installations…BLOW!

How can it be that when they designed TR receptacles, it seems that no one took into account the use of polarized two-prong cord caps?
So far, all three brands of TR receptacles that I have installed, Cooper, Leviton and P&S, have had a problem with allowing these polarized caps to be inserted. You have to wiggle the cord cap up and down while jiggling it side to side and pushing like you don’t care if you break it to get them to go in. I have actually cracked several thermoset wall plates from pushing so hard against the receptacles yoke. From now on, I will only use the unbreakable nylon plates with TR receptacles.
I really feel bad for the elderly, handicapped and even the ordinary individuals who I am forced to make use this trash.
This is even more ridiculous when considering that almost every table and floor lamp, as well as most portable counter top appliances use polarized two-prong caps.
I suppose we will be told that in the future, this situation will be addressed. Just like the cost of these receptacles is going to eventually drop to pre-TR prices. All I can say is that it seems that we have all been played, again.

sick

R
I have a P&S right here on my desk and have played with a Leviton and have had no issues with the polarized plugs. I did find a fan made in China where the prongs were too thick to work with the TR receps, but would work with standard ones. I expect that the thickness of the prongs was outside the NEMA standard for plugs.

Don(resqcapt19)
M
I am going to make a prediction that injuries will increase with the use of TR receptacles. The kids will just try harder and instead of just poking 1 wire they will have to get 2 at least. Just imagine the result of a kid with 2 metal object, 1 in each hand and they get them both in at the same moment. Current accross the chest. I for 1 am a kid that poked things into sockets. I became an electrician. I guess i enjoyed the experience. This rule change has been proposed for the Canadian Electrical code.

Yeah I poked a bobby pin into one when i was about 5 years old a spark, a crack , and black stuff on outlet

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard