ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#171802 12/06/07 12:04 AM
W
got a call to look at a house that took a lightning strike. hit the corner of the house, got in the electrical system went out through the load center to the main disconnect on a pole outside, blowing it to bits. My price was for total replacement of loadcenter, feeder cable and outside main. Insurance co. said NO to much money. Had someone else fix it. He replaced the outdoor main and restored the power, when the homeowner turned on the electric range the place went dark. HO called the ins. co. was told to call me. Now my question how much would you guys mark up the price for having to work behind someone else?

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
L
Well you got the numbers for the original quote, for everything.So the scope realy did not change. Whats the time frame? How long between your quote and now? I would say at least 20%,(Punishment). Now you must shuffle your schedule.

Z
I know it's a sarcastic question, but I would really add on for removal of the poorly done work and a complete re-inspect, plus add the time you spent on the first estimate.

Then I would snicker quietly in my truck on the way there.

This is one of those times when, thankfully, idiots get their return for going cheap - it ends up costing them to get something done twice when they should have just went with the right way in the first place. They spend a dollar trying to save a dime.

Ha!

G
Maybe you did a full installation test, but otherwise I would double check that even your examination found all the damage. I had a friend who experienced a lightning strike and as well as wrecking every appliance in the house, and causing visible damage to some fittings, cables burned up within walls, in unexpected places. He finished up with a complete rewire.

G
I keep wondering why this happens and why we don't have more of it in Florida where things get hit by lightning all the time.

Greg Fretwell
W
I suspect a poor initial installation Greg. This is an older mobile home, and inspections in the county where it is were rare until a few years ago.

Jimmy

L
All of the above. My 20%, carries ZAPPED comments.

GeoffinUK. Raises awesome points! Spell it out.CLEARLY!

Gregg good question. Wire-twister good answer.

Just another reason not to buy a mobile home. Someone bad seems to keep track of where they are and follows them.

"Go for the gusto" Maybe too young to know it, but there it is.

F
I allready done some repairs with related to the lighting damages #1 rules is megger that sonvagunner place i am sure more than one spot will show up damaged.

i have one house the main breaker box actally blew right off from the wall and meter socket pretty much history as well. end up rewire the whole place and drywall guys came in and redo the whole thing. i told the insurance company that there is two way is " my way or forget it."

the insurance company gave in to my demand after that agent check with other EC's and they reply the same aswer as i say. laugh

the reason why drywall guys came in and redo the drywall becaue there were quite few spots i can see where the nail and drywall screw went out of the wall. and at least a sheet or two did fell off.

Now speaking of Mobile homes they are pretty much PITA mantatory megger it anyway and try to rewire them is sorta like westleing with panelboard in the tincan.

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

G
I usually associate massive lightning damage to poor grounding and bonding. If this was Florida our wind code would have a bunch of tie down anchors and straps over the roof making this a Faraday cage.
I do agree a lot of mobile homes that get dropped without permits may be a lightning bomb waiting to happen, particularly if they are sloppy about the grounding electrode system

Greg Fretwell
W
Greg
this particular mobile home has Masonite siding and no tiedowns, eliminating the faraday cage effect. service is(was) on a pole about 60 feet from the house, no visible ground rod, only a 3 conductor cable between main and loadcenter in house.

Marc, megger test after repair and subsequent failure showed a failed neutural in the ground between main and loadcenter. This would have been replaced if I had been allowed to fix it the first time.

Jimmy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard