ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 80 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#171729 12/04/07 12:20 PM
G
NORTHBROOK, Ill., - Nov. 30, 2007 - Recent testing by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) of samples obtained from both the marketplace and several manufacturers indicates that some GFCI units do not meet all current UL requirements and, under rare conditions, may not trip when a fault is present, resulting in a loss of protection from electric shock.

There have been no reported incidences of these products causing injury in the field, and under normal circumstances UL expects these products will perform their intended function. While GFCIs provide an effective means for protecting against electric shock, UL recommends that they be tested regularly to verify they are operating properly, using the self-test feature that is built into these devices. UL encourages users to test and monitor their GFCIs using the process described below.

UL has notified all manufacturers identified to date whose product samples did not meet all current UL requirements so that they may take appropriate action. UL has not withdrawn its certification mark from existing products nor does UL believe the products should be removed from homes or other locations entailing normal use.

UL may issue further advice as additional testing is conducted and its review proceeds.

Name of Product: Wall receptacle-type Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). Rated 15 or 20 Amps, 125 volts.

Advisory: Under rare conditions, these GFCIs may not trip when a fault is present and may malfunction resulting in a loss of protection from electric shock. There have been no reported incidences of the products causing injury in the field.

Identification: Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters look like duplex receptacles but are distinguished by their "Reset" and "Test" buttons.

Uninstalled Product: All affected manufacturers identified to date have been notified. Retailers, contractors and electricians should contact the manufacturer for further information.

Installed GFCIs: If the GFCI is already installed in your home, UL recommends that all GFCIs be tested monthly following these steps:

Push the "Reset" button located on the GFCI receptacle first to assure normal GFCI operation.
Plug a product (such as a lamp) into the GFCI receptacle and turn the product "ON."
Push the "Test" button located on the GFCI receptacle. The lamp or other appliance should go "OFF."
Push the "Reset" button, again. The lamp or other appliance should go "ON" again.
Repeat this test with the lamp or other appliance plugged into a receptacle marked "GFCI Protected" in close proximity to the GFCI receptacle. Push the "Test" button again and the lamp should go off.
In addition to the monthly test, UL recommends that GFCIs installed in environments with both sustained high temperatures (greater than 90°F) AND high humidity (greater than 93% relative humidity) be tested with greater frequency. These environments may include some bathrooms and indoor pool areas.

UL recommends that the GFCI be replaced by a qualified electrician if:

The lamp or other appliance plugged into the GFCI remains "ON" when the "Test" button is pushed.
The GFCI does not reset when the "Reset" button is pushed.
The GFCI performs its intended function, but trips repeatedly during normal use. (This may indicate either a faulty appliance or a compromised GFCI. In either case, replacement of the GFCI is recommended and the appliance should be checked for proper operation prior to reuse.)
Finally, with all GFCIs, it is important that consumers not use the unit's "Test" and "Reset" buttons as an on-off switch for appliances plugged in to the GFCI.

UL urges consumers to continue to use GFCIs, as they play an important role in protecting you and your homes. If your GFCIs require replacement, UL recommends that a qualified electrician does the replacement.

Greg Fretwell
S
I guess the real lesson here is that GFCI receptacles aren't designed to be a primary "off" switch for doing something stupid, but merely a redundant backup in case of a failure of common sense. While there's a non-zero chance of either failing individually, the chance of the two failing simultanously is infintesimal. Unless, of course, common sense is intentionally disabled.

Once again, UL is doing a great disservice by not identifying which manufacturer's GFCI's have issues!!

What's the point of releasing this notice if there is no way of telling whose products may have issues?

A few years back, when certain Christmas lights were recalled, see this thread, I had written to both the CPSC and UL asking for clarification on what defects they found. I had several of the alledgedly defective light sets in use, and still have them. I never got a response from either organization.

Smells like an issue of sour grapes, maybe the manufacturers of the alledgedly defective GFCI's didn't pay thier listing fees to UL. laugh

Stupid should be painful.
L
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Thats beautifull!!! (just saw it).

I work in reaearch areas, where there are daily hose downs, I see these things fail all the time. Either don't trip or no reset. Scary. Tests show propper wireing.

Cat Servant
Let's see ... a GFI recep costs maybe $12, and are required in only a handful of places.

An AFCI breaker costs three times as much, and will soon be required everywhere.

I wonder where the next counterfeit problems will arise?

Link Copied to Clipboard