ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#171618 12/02/07 12:22 AM
L
leland Offline OP
Not to bad this cycle, only 18 pages.
just got a copy of the final draft. But I have not seen the NEC 08' yet to put it all together.

I had trouble looking/opening at it on line. May be me,still gonna try again.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

K
Hi leland,
Where did you find that copy of the MA Amendments? I have tried looking on the Division of Professional Licensure website and state house bookstore site, etc., but no luck. Have you heard any mention of when the actual MA Electrical Code books will be available?

Thanks

Also, I was just wondering…
I have the Mike Holt 2008 Code changes book and there is no mention of the requirement for tamper-proof receptacles. Was that one rejected by the ‘08 NEC CMP?
These code change cycles in MA always give me an uneasy feeling for the first month or so. I always feel like I am bumbling through jobs until I can get in an approved 15-hour code changes seminar. February seems to be the earliest I can find a seminar in my area.

KJay #171639 12/02/07 12:43 PM
L
leland Offline OP
I have a friend on the MCMP. He E-mailed it to me.

I'll check on the availability,but it should be out soon.

Late last night I finaly broke the "code" to the NFPA site and got my 1st glance at 08. Still hav'nt read enough to put them both together.

L
leland Offline OP
KJAY- Tamper resistant is in there.406.11= All 120V 15&20A in 210.52.

I'm just waiting for the horror stories to start comming in.

I'ld much prefer tamper resistant screws,Just a litle more job security from the DIY'r

K
Okay, I see it now.

What does MA have to say about it? Was it accepted in its entirety?

Do you think this means we now have to go back to installing GFCI circuit breakers for baths and kitchen counters, or do the GFCI protected tamper-resistant devices already exist? I personally have never seen anything but the standard duplex type.

KJay #171652 12/02/07 07:59 PM
L
leland Offline OP
===Was it accepted in its entirety?===

Yup! Ya-hoo! PM, I'll send ya what I got.

Still thumbing thru it.So far they must protect us from ourselfs.But on some they have been generous. Some logic I can see.

K
You know, it’s somewhat ironic, but I’ve carried a few tamperproof 15A duplex receptacles on my truck for probably four years now and haven’t been able to convince a single customer that they are worth the extra $5.60 that I would charge them for one. This is because they know they can just go down to Job Lot or somewhere similar and buy a big package of those plastic child proof receptacle inserts for less than half of that and put them on every unused receptacle in the house. I even tried to explain to them that one genuine “advantage” of the TP receptacles is that they don’t need to keep removing and reinstalling those little inserts every time the want to plug in the vacuum cleaner or a lamp. I guess from now on, at least for new work, they no longer have that option.

When I was an infant/toddler, I think like most other people my age, I grew up in a very old house with the usual combination of knob & tube, BX, two-wire receptacles with metal wall plates and a fuse panel. We never even heard childproof caps.
I don’t recall ever once getting shocked off a receptacle and I was one of those little bastards that was always into everything.
The reason for this, I believe, is that at least one of my parents were always around and I can distinctly remember my father telling me to leave those outlets alone and not to play with them because the electricity “ inside” will hurt or kill me.
The first time I every got shocked was as an apprentice in the trade. Score one for old school, hands-on parenting.

KJay #171707 12/03/07 08:46 PM
N
I am going to update in January with Joe Ross. I'll wait until then to consider it. Not that I'm not interested, just have enough to think about. I haven't even bought the new code book yet, thinking I'll wait till the handbook version comes out. It will be interesting to see what Mass keeps and what they don't. NH doesn't accept it until June? Just have to roll with it.

Link Copied to Clipboard