ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 37 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wewire2 Offline OP
Anyone know if it is OK to use inline fuses or fuse blocks in the back of a panel or in a j-box enclosing a feeder. The purpose would be to provide the 5 amp protection Emon recommends for the unit.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Pardon my stupidity but, What's a "Emon Dmon" ? Without knowing what it is I would say a fuse can be installed in a lot of different places as long as it doesn't have live parts exposed to unqualified persons.

George Little
L
It is a local metering device. It can be used to monitor certain equipment or anything else.
I have used them most in older strip malls where there is one meter and sub panels for ind stores. This will mount in the sub panel for accurate billing to the tennant.
Basicaly just CT's to a meter.

www.ElectricSubmeter.com

Last edited by leland; 12/02/07 12:03 AM.
K
Emon manufactures the Demon [short for demand monitor I think], which is a neat little self-contained digital sub meter that you can use for usage monitoring of individual branch circuits. They use small CT clamps that you clip over the load conductors.
I installed several in a condo complex a few years back. The association wanted to be able to monitor the tenant air conditioning usage during the summer months. The Demons use a small in-line fuse holder on the line to protect the meters electronics. The fuse holder is too big to fit inside the Demon’s enclosure, so it needs to be remote mounted. I had enough room to mount them on a piece of 4-inch wireway with offset nipples and put a 4” square pull box with a blank cover in between to install the fuse holder, since overcurrent devices aren’t allowed inside wireway.

W
wewire2 Offline OP
Hi George. An Emon Dmon is an electronic submeter with a digital readout of KWH. Google it for more info. I had an inspector a while back tell me I couldn't put a relay or overcurrent device in s j-box, I have never spent the time to find it in the book. I checked overcurrent device/location, but didn't see it. I love this site because it saves from thumbing pages on the weekend.

L
Take it from me.. Keep thumbing thru the pages. There's alot of very brite people here, ask they'll tell. Blurt it out totaly wrong.. and they'll let ya know.:)

W
wewire2 Offline OP
Leland, could you elaborate on that a little so eveyone knows how to avoid blurting out things totally wrong?
Thanks

L
Sure. Perhaps I worded it the wrong way.
Back a few yrs ago, before I registerd and was just an observer,There was someone who insisted on one item (forget the topic now ) and wouldn't let it go.The others kept correcting, and it got a little heated. Then the poster actualy looked to the book, and had egg on their face.Seems they had too much faith in hear say.

What I like about this site, is if your wrong or misinterperate the words, You folks are excellent at walking thru it so we all understand better.A true education.
In know way was it meant for anyone to be hesitant in participating in the discussions.Thats how we learn and become better Techs.

I don't beleive any of us would deny that we all learn something every day,regardless of our time in the trade.

W
wewire2 Offline OP
Well said Leland.

Sometimes we get called on things that are not even in the code book. You could thumb for hours looking for it and never find it. It is really nice to save that time and tap into the incredible wealth of knowledge available here at ECN.
I agree that we should always verify the information received here by finding it in the book before applying it in the field.

Wewire:
A fused disco with correct size fuses is one option.
A fuse block in a suitable enclosure is another
'Finger safe' fuse blocks are a great choice
Midget fuses, and a finger safe block within the source panel, space allowing, would be my #1 choice.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard