ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 297 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#171542 11/30/07 04:32 PM
S
I went to a service call today and was checking amperage in one of their electrical panels. I had one circuit that kept going up and down in amperage. This was constantly within 1 or 2 seconds. I traced the circuit down to a copier that was plugged in. I checked the outlets it was plugged into, but the connections were fine. The fluctuation would stop when I unplugged the copier. Does anyone know if this is normal with a copier? Seems like I heard that copiers may have some weird affect on circuits, or does it sound like the copier could be getting ready to go bad? It does this when the copier is not in use, just setting there. Thanks , Steve...

G
The biggest load in a copier or any other laser printer is the fuser. This can be up to 3200w in a big laser printer. In a copier I would not be surprised if it was 1400w or more. If the copier is one of those 'instant copy" types it will maintain fuser roll temp all the time. You are seeing that cycling.

Greg Fretwell
S
Greg, thanks. I thought it might be something like that, but wasn't sure. Steve..

Link Copied to Clipboard