ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
We have a 40 year old, 120 volt, 7.5 KW, (62.5A) Kohler transfer switch at one of our facilites. The generator operates fine but the automatic transfer switch needs replaced. Are 7.5 KW (62.5A) 120 volt transfer switches manufactured now days?

Frank

Frank:
Did you try Kohler.com, or look for a local Kohler Gen dealer/service shop & inquire.

John
S

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
F
Thank you for the link,however I couldn't find any 120V rated automatic transfer switches listed. Could I use a 120/240V rated switch for my 120V application?

J
If you cannot find one, build one. Do you have someone in your company that can do this? It's a simple project.

G
JV
Wouldn't the lack of a U/L evaluation (or other NRTL) be a problem?

It might be cheaper/easier to fix the one he has. What's wrong with it? Are the parts available?
It is possible a "120v" version is just a 240 with some contacts removed. For that matter I am not really sure why you couldn't just use the 240v version and not hook up one phase. The function is the same.

Greg Fretwell
F
Greg,

Considering it is 40 years old, our plan is to replace it. My initial thought was, why wouldn't a 120/240V switch work. But just to be sure I called the Kohler generater local distributer in my region. I expect a return call when I get to my office on Monday.

Frank

J
gfretwell,
I guess I am just so used to building my own stuff. Working primarily in industry for the last 18 years, I just always built my own control panels and rewired many machines. Once I learned to draw my own schematics and implementing them, I just never purchased factory built equipment in most cases. And when your company knows you can do it, you are doing it.
You are right about the 240 volt, same thing. I also, wonder what is wrong with the old one. Maybe the 40 year old enclosure is the issue. Who knows.
As far as UL approved I am not sure how that plays out in a plant. We kinda always figured if it was on our side, we could do pretty much anything we wanted. Of course we always put safety first. Mechanical, electrical interlocks, Emergency controls etc....

G
I am not a code cop, I just play one on the internet wink

To be honest, I have built a lot of stuff around my house too but I do try to make it as code compliant as possible, just to make it easy when I am gone.
I was just trying not to say he would be "fine" cobbling something up in the shop.
I agree if you used listed components within their parameters it should be safe.

Greg Fretwell
G
Frank, if they faxed you a page of "instructions" on company stationary saying you could hook up one phase (120v) to the switch you should be OK, no matter how pedantic an inspector was.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard