ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
I haven't done or plan to do this and don't know anyone who has or plans to...

I just want to know how things work. I'm one of those that gets a toaster for Christmas and opens it to see how it works inside before I ever plug it in.

I spent a number of years as a maintenance electrician and we would try to think of all the what if's to make a system safer. Some of them were really bizarre, but one came true and because we covered that base no one was hurt. 1600 gallons per min spraying on a NEMA1 MCC 8000A 480VAC in 4+ inches of standing water and a phase to phase arc. The MCC caught fire and the GFP didn't open and only 1 fuse blew... Things like this make me think "what if".

I was thinking that when Mr. Dopey hooks his gene into the grid it would stall or breaker out, but we're still loosing linemen to backfeeds. Just wanting to learn why.

Also, hadn't thought about auto-reclosers sensing voltage downstream... After a few attempts do they stop trying to close? (Can you tell I want to learn more about HV transmission?)

Thanks everyone!!! I never stop learning from y'all!

Mike Wescoatt
G
Does anyone have a documented example of a lineman being injured from a backfed generator?

Greg Fretwell
S

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G

#1"When he attempted to relocate the damaged line he contacted another phase ..."
That's what killed him. I saw nothing indicating a portable generator was involved.

"Although company procedures required that both ends of the primary wire be grounded, no grounds were installed ..."
There was transfer equipment installed and it was bypassed in some way I still don't totally understand. This still wasn't "energizing the grid" it was on site equipment.

The third one was "backfeeding" from the energized phase on the utility side like #1.

Anyone have one involving a residential generator backfeeding the grid? Next time I see my FPL guy I wlll ask him

Greg Fretwell
Or is it Urban Legend busted?

Wood work but can't!
G
Let's send it in to those dummies at Mythbusters...whatever they decide to prove it should be a good show.

Although they'll have to go a long way to top the 'will a water heater rocket out the roof of your house' episode.

Ghost307
S
Read the summary

Wrong kind of generator. My bad.

see note in case note 2. A generator was the possible cause.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
L
---All I remember is being pissed off in the tropical heat on a Friday night with no air-conditioning. --AirForce ayy?

("SeaBEE", nevermind) Thanks for your service (and all others looking)!!!!!!!!!!

G
On #1 the summary does not seem to match the article. It almost looks like someone with an agenda wrote it without reading the "investigation" report

Power company investigators discovered that the lines had been de-energized at a pole-mounted service transformer. However, incorrect connections at this transformer established a path for current energy from another circuit to travel back (backfeed) through the transformer, energizing the line that the victim had contacted. Tests determined that 2400 volts were present on the line.

In the last one they just guessed there might be a generator involved.

The real common denominator is all of these guys violated safety rules and did not have the conductors they were handling grounded. When you are talking about the fraction of an amp it takes to kill someone that could have been coupled through any utility source, hence the rule

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard