ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
[Linked Image from pages.sbcglobal.net]
Can anyone tell me why this wouldn't require an in-use cover?They are being marketed to plug outdoor lighting into.Does UL actually believe that a homeowner will unplug it whenever it rains,sleets,snows,hails, or the sprinkler system comes on?

Donnie
S
SJT Offline
I agree. Did that have a UL sticker on it. If it does that would be a great question for a UL person. I'm sure they wouldn't mind to talk to you at all. There main # is (847) 272-8800. That's a main # and they can direct your call.
Good find!

T
Here's 1 from the big orange box.

[Linked Image from pages.sbcglobal.net]

Manufactured by-ELECTRI-CORD Manufacturing Company
312 East Main Street
Westfield, PA. 16950
Telephone: 814-367-2265 ~ Fax: 814-367-2314
Since 1946
This is from their website--Throughout this catalog, you will see constant reference made to UL and CSA. All of the power supply cords pictured, and all of our molds, where specified, are UL listed and CSA certified. All of our products will fall under one of the following file numbers:
UNDERWRITERS
LABORATORIES

E18951
E45239
E48367 CANADIAN
STANDARDS
ASSOCIATION

LR14017
LL24378
Approval Certifications in PDF

All of our products are labeled to meet the requirements of UL and CSA. Labeling requirements, of course, vary with the final product classification and end use: power supply cord, detachable power supply cord, wiring harness, cord set, processed wire, etc.

UL and CSA require identification of all components. We achieve this by placing our name and address (Electri-Cord, Westfield, PA) on the face of each plug or connector as it is molded.

[This message has been edited by txsparky (edited 11-21-2002).]

Donnie
S
I've seen these in a lot of chain variety stores...like K-Mart, Walgreens, etc.

The instructions on some do say to only use outdoors when it is dry...however.....

On the plus side, it does have those little safety slide covers on the receptacles so the squirrels don't stick their claws in the holes! [Linked Image]

B
Anybody that uses one of thosee up here in the rainy Pacific NW has my vote for the Darwin Award.

S
Just as a matter of information on the outside lighting. I recently installed some, and they are 12 VAC. The instruction said no danger involved because of the low voltage, which is probably true. I have, however, had my foot in a ditch before and got hold of telephone wires (24VAC), and got a good sizeable jolt [Linked Image] Actually that has happened 3 times that I can remember. Normally under normal conditions, you would never feel the 24 VAC, but if grounded just right, yes you can feel it [Linked Image]

N
Telephone wires are a bit more than 24 V. Normally about 48 VDC when "on hook", with a ringing voltage of about 90 VAC. You can feel that quite well in damp conditions, especially if someone is ringing the line! [Linked Image]

S
oh thee of little NRTL faith......

S
SJT Offline
Thanks for the osha website!

Link Copied to Clipboard