ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#170938 11/15/07 02:40 PM
L
LarryC Offline OP
Folks,

A couple of questions.

What are the standard sockets used in Belgium? We are shipping some pieces of lab equipment over there, and I was asked, "What cords do we need to order?"

This equipment is composed of a chiller that draws about 9 or 10 A @ 230V, and separate group of equipment that combined draw is less than 10 A @ 230V.

Is there a stock blue circular power plug that supports two 10(?) Amp circuits?

Thanks,

Larry C

C
C-H Offline
The standard is the round 16 A two pin plug with the ground pin in the socket. (Two pins on the plug and one in the socket).

I can only think of one blue circular power plug that supports two 2 x 10 amps: A 32 A CEE plug combined with two fuses in your equipment. Or supply two 16A cords with plugs...

Another solution is to check if all parts of the equipment need power at the same time. If not, maybe you can do with 16A.

P
Originally Posted by C-H
The standard is the round 16 A two pin plug with the ground pin in the socket. (Two pins on the plug and one in the socket).

The ones which look like this:

[Linked Image]

And accept this plug (which also fits the German shucko socket with side earth contacts):

[Linked Image]

D
djk Offline
I am not aware of any commonly available plug that would provide 2 X 10A single phase circuits.

However, 5 pin 3 phase sockets (400V) sockets are widely available (CEEform type sleeve and pin plugs are the legal requirement for these). It would not be acceptable to use one of these for 2 x single phase circuits as they could be mated with a real 3-phase outlet.

Given what you are describing, if this is a single machine, you really should provide appropriate circuit protection for the two groups of equipment within the device i.e. fusing / breakers and then provide a single appropriately rated CEEform (Blue sleeve and pin to European standards) connector for connection.

How would this equipment be connected in North America ?

Last edited by djk; 11/17/07 09:20 AM.
L
LarryC Offline OP
How would this equipment be connected in North America ?

The customer would have to provide 2 separate circuits. One for the chiller and one for the rest of the equipment.

I was not involved in the selling or reviewing the installation of the system. I was just notified Thursday, "Oh by the way, we also have to provide an extension cord because this system will be installed on a cart."

I believe that the chiller manual states it draws 12A @ 230V and therefore it needs to be a dedicated circuit.

Larry C

D
djk Offline
I would simply provide 2 X CEE 7/7 16A plugs and cords smile

Alternatively, a pair of IEC connectors might be acceptable?

Last edited by djk; 11/17/07 05:43 PM.
D
djk Offline

Does your client have a 230v/400v x 3 phase supply?

If so, you could provide a 3 phase + N plug and cord with your equipment and hardwire 2 x 230v + N circuits at your equipment panel [ with 2 x onboard 16A breakers? ].
Third phase is redundant.

Wood work but can't!
T
16A CEE would be enough in terms of overcurrent protection as long as the subsequent wiring is at least 1.5mm2 and the equipment itself is limiting the current. Basically: you can install a 5x1.5mm2 cord with 3ph plug and permanently wire 3 16A Belgian sockets on the cart, one of which is unused (or only use two phases). Or provide 2 10A IEC connectors and have the customer get two computer cords + regular extension cords.

Link Copied to Clipboard