ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#170818 11/12/07 07:13 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
This is what happens when the expansion fitting is NOT installed. The side of the box was pulled completely out. These were taken in a parking garage that is being renovated. The metal conduit will probably be replaced by rigid non-metallic conduit sched. 80 WITH expansion fittings.

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

This is the second of two pictures showing an expansion fitting on rigid conduit. This is how it should be done.

Alan Nadon

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
I understand the reason for expansion fittings, but never really saw an install where I was thinking "They'd really be up a creek if they hadn't put that expansion coupling in." Now here's a dramatic example of what happens when you don't. Neat.

-John

S
Wow.

Is expansion/contraction really what caused that?? I never would have guessed that a lack of provision for expansion could result in something this dramatic.

Kinda makes me ponder the 250 feet or so of EMT I just ran the other day...oh wait, that was inside a heated building. *whew*

Shawn.

J
That must have been some long conduit run to expand/shrink what looks like 2 inches. Are you sure it is not from damage further down the conduit run?

There's a run of 3/4 galvanized that runs along a fenceline for about 1200 feet out where I work (For H2S monitors) In the cold, it's straight as an arrow, but once it gets above about 80F or so... It starts doing the wave... along the WHOLE run!

S
The coefficient of thermal expansion for steel is 0.00000645in/in/deg. Doesn't sound like much, but for a 100' piece of pipe, the difference between a -20F day and a 110F day is 1". Aluminum expands twice as much as steel. Concrete is practically identical to steel. (Convenient for rebar, eh?) BUT, if that concrete has expansion joints, and the steel doesn't...

PVC is far worse, as it has a much higher coefficient of expansion. A similar piece of RNC would have an appx 4.5" expansion/contraction.

Last edited by SteveFehr; 11/20/07 01:45 PM.
look @ how bent up it is, i don't think an expansion fitting would of helped that

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH

Link Copied to Clipboard