ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 519 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Take care with your analysis. If you have chemically induced corrosion, this will generate a voltage, typically 1 to 2 volts dc. Chicken/Egg! laugh

As Greg says ph is the key. All metal corrosion involves electrical phenomena, not all of which may be measurable, due to closed-loop circuits.

Water softening creates potential corrosion scenarios.
Hard salt ions like calcium replaced by sodium ions reduce limescale deposition, but this also prevents protective layers of lime being deposited on the copper.
The softener resins are occasionally backflushed with common-salt brine to remove the calcium from the system. Any brine getting back into the pipework would cause corrosion, although that's unlikely.

Another common problem is cement or concrete. A copper pipe in contact with, or cast into, concrete or cement mortar will probably perforate in less than 10 years. This corrosion will induce local voltage, which in turn can induce copper salts to form in the pipe bores, if the ph is not neutral.

Wood work but can't!
L
Actually, I temporarily back fed the old existing house from this panel and it is providing power to the well for now. This circuit was good for about an amp flowing on the main EGC when energized. I expect that to go away when we install the permanent well feeders.

An AMP is alot of RF filters! Either you found your source of current or something is not right in the old house. Second neutral-earth bond? I suspect that the well is acting as the earthing electrode.

If that is the case, I would recommend keeping a spare well pump on site. Lightning loves low resistance bonding electrodes AKA well pump motors.

C
The amp on the GEC is roughly equal to the neutral current so I suspect re grounding in the old house somewhere. That house should be getting knocked down soon so I haven't spent any of their money looking into it.

I'm still waiting to hear the results of the water tests.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard