ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
In a multi-family building each tenant has their own panel. The common area is supplied by a "house panel". The landlord wants to install a back-up generator on the "house panel" and supply each tenant with a circuit out of this "house panel" that he can use for their furnace in the event of a power outage. I know 210.25 prohibits supplying the common area out of an individual tenant space but this would be kinda a reverse of that. Does code allow this? Assuming Article 702 compliance.

Last edited by George Little; 11/10/07 02:32 PM.

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
I don't imagine that there would be code problems. I can think of plenty of (non-residential) places where there are receptacles powered by different systems .... they're usually a different color device and cover plate then the rest.

Even in residential, many places have certain systems ... heat, hot water, fire alarms ... powered independent of anything the tenant controls.

A
George,
The receptacle should be clearly labeled to prevent someone from getting zapped.
What happens when the tenant decides to use a suicide cord with two male plugs to enegrize his whole apartment ?
Good idea but dangerous.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
L
Why doesn't the owner power up all of the furnaces off of the common panel? That reduces the chance of tenants doing something silly like the plug-plug jumper trick. How much power does each furnace draw? Up the rent by a buck a month to cover the additional electrical cost.

Larry C

Tom Offline
I can't think of any prohibition against this as long as all tenants have access to the circuit breaker that controls the receptacle in question or there is continuoous management personnel available to control that breaker. 240.2(B)

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Link Copied to Clipboard