ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 287 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#170716 11/09/07 08:44 PM
B
BigJohn Offline OP
So I've had two Klein screwdrivers strip-out in a matter of weeks from nothing more than hand torque. Other guys around here are having the same problems.

I'm tired of buying screwdrivers so I've been looking around and I came across this. It's a modern production of the old spiral screwdrivers.

It tells my age that I've never seen one of these in real life so I'd like to know has anyone used one? How are they on torque? With the replacable bits, I wouldn't have to worry about stripping tips. And with the automatic action, it might do a lot towards saving my wrist.

Any thoughts?

-John

J
I don't recall ever owning one but I used to use them in shop class. We called them, "Yankee Screwdrivers" or drills and you will get many hits if you Google that. I don't think that I would use it for final torquing as much as quickly getting the screw in or drilling a pilot hole in wood.
Joe

We've gone full circle, I guess

From the Yankee screwdriver to the cordless, and back to the Yankee?

Torque is not the best. The forward pressure on the handle far exceeds the torque. Good for putting receptacles in, or cover plates on.
The only way to get any appreciable torque is to lock it into ratchet mode, and I'm afraid that you'll end up with broken tips anyway.

The upside?? The tips are replaceable hex drive now laugh

Cat Servant
I watched the Yankee drivers being used by tradesmen as I grew up ... along with the 'eggbeater' drill, the 'brace and bit,' and a few other tools you don't see anymore.

Indeed, I just added a 'medium' Yankee to my tool bag for trim-out work.

The shortest spiral driver isn't very practical. To be effective, you need LENGTH. Torque depends a lot on your being able to press on it, and the longer the travel, the better. I've used them, with great effect, for driving screws into wood (pine and oak).

Ones that use "normal" 1/4" hex drive bits? Where? I'd love to get one .... if there were ever a tool made for the Robertson drive, this is it!

C
I have always appreciated the American way of life. The American way of thought has always been vastly superior to a whole lot of thinking compared to anyone else. I love American thinking. .. er Phillips screws..... Have Americans been ever able to admit that "Robertson" ..er in their terms "square head" screw ever been better than the infamous Phillips?

I have the utmost respect for American ideas, EXCEPT, for the only time and I must add - the only time- I would ever call an American idea absolutely STUPID is when they realized that the "Robertson" screw was made by a Canadian and the average American has no idea what it is and stick with the Phillips head standard.

P
When I first started out in this business(20 years ago) I'd seen the mechanics use "yankees" (I'm a Mets fan, myself). When cordless screw guns became more popular they seemed to disappear. I just use my screw gun with a lower torque setting.
CheckPilot, I had no idea that they were called "Robertson" screws. I just called them, "Crap, now I have to run back out to my truck and get a square head screwdriver" screws. BTW there are two types of "phillips" screw heads (phillips and "Reed and Prince" (Frearson?). pete

N
Hello from South Dakota!!

Like Electure, I to have finally gone full circle.

Started out with a Yankee went to cordless,(along with 30lbs of other tools in my pouch), and now back to a Yankee driver, 10-in-1, linemans, strippers, and meter in one small pouch.

Wish someone would have told me 20yrs ago that all those tools and weight in my pouch was going to blow my knees out and cause back problems!

Jon

Jon Niemeyer
Originally Posted by Check Pilot
I have always appreciated the American way of life. The American way of thought has always been vastly superior to a whole lot of thinking compared to anyone else. I love American thinking. .. er Phillips screws..... Have Americans been ever able to admit that "Robertson" ..er in their terms "square head" screw ever been better than the infamous Phillips?

I have the utmost respect for American ideas, EXCEPT, for the only time and I must add - the only time- I would ever call an American idea absolutely STUPID is when they realized that the "Robertson" screw was made by a Canadian and the average American has no idea what it is and stick with the Phillips head standard.

I'm hooked on Robertson screws (yes I knew they were called that BTW) after getting a traffic light from Ontario that uses only them. No more stripped screw heads!

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
N
The phillips head habit of stripping out is at best annoying, but not fond of Robertson heads still prefer 1/4" & 5/16" hex head screws.Carrying Phillips, Robertson, straight blade, hex drives, is a real PITA.

Where does it end? Torx®,tamper resistant fastener bits.........

J
Boy do I feel old. We thought we were doing something fast when we switched to using these when trimming out and now I hear that someone doesn't even know what they are.

Also drilled a few hole in the wall when the bit slipped out of the slots. Have used these to hang cabinets too.

Does anyoune remember the spiral action drills?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard