ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#170447 11/03/07 09:06 AM
R
rowd Offline OP
In the illustration linked from the NEC it shows 4 feet between receptacles.The code states "Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 600 mm (24 in.) measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in that space."

Clear as mud. once again the NEC manages to make a ruling even more muddled than it ever was to begin with.

(1) Wall Counter-top Spaces. A receptacle outlet shall be installed at each wall counter-top space that is 300 mm (12 in.) or wider. Receptacle outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 600 mm (24 in.) measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in that space. See related Illustration

Exception: Receptacle outlets shall not be required on a wall directly behind a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink in the installation described in Figure 210.52(C)(1).

[Linked Image from code.necplus.org]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
rowd Offline OP
Sorry.....Here is the illustration

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

J
Exactly what is unclear?

Cat Servant
Seems pretty clear to me ... unless you are not sure how these things are measured.

Receptacle spacing is determined by measuring, as it were, along the baseboard (or, with counters, the backsplash). There is no allowance for the height a receptacle may be above the floor (or counter). Things that interrupt the 'usable' path (doors, sinks, ranges) are not included in the measure. If the path takes a turn, the measure follows the turn - as shown in that corner.

Legal line aside .... go buy a cheap toaster. If the cord can't reach a receptacle, you probably need to add one at that point.

G
I always figured that it was to make sure that there was always a receptacle within 2' of any point along the wall to go along with the standard length of appliance cords.

The 12" countertop rule probably arose because folks started putting a short piece of countertop between the stove and the end wall...and some genius ran an extention cord to it for the toaster.

Ghost307
A
The key word is point. No point shall be more than 2 feet.
This same confusion occurs when receptacles in habitable rooms are to be no more than six feet from a point. The receptacles are twelve feet apart.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
G
It should be noted, they say no point "along the wall line"...
It is not a radial sweep across the width of the counter.
I have heard arguments about corners.

Greg Fretwell
J
I have heard of some that did not interpret this measurement as being along the back part of the countertop and actually wanted a receptacle mounted on the 24" depth of the side wall where the countertop meet the wall.

G
You just defined the argument. It doesn't say "back" wall. wink

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
It should be noted, they say no point "along the wall line"...
It is not a radial sweep across the width of the counter.
I have heard arguments about corners.
I think it should be changed, though, to "any point on the counter" within 2', though. What good is a rule to allow 2' cords to be used anywhere if they still can only be used butted up against the wall?

I know, I know, counters are 2' deep, and we'd need a continuous outlet for this. Really, it begs the question ... why the $&#&#$^%$^ are they only 2' cords to begin with? Why can't I get a blender with a 4' cord and a lamp with a 12' cord? Why always the rinky short cord?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard