ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Redsy Offline OP
Where do we get a requirement to independently support lay-in luminaires? Local rules?

Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't.

Thanks,

John

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Redsy:
A 'plain english' explanation....

NEC requires fixtures to be 'attached' to the grid, by mechanical means; screws, clips, rivets, etc. in most cases. This is the 'basic' NEC requirement...this is what an Electrical Inspector can enforce, but....

Ind. support is required in seismic areas.

Ind. support MAY be required by plans/specs.

Ind. support IS required in certain 'Fire Rated' ceiling assemblies (I have never seen one)

And; a 'COMMON SENSE' rule would be IF the fixture deflects the grid....install support!.

Who the enforcement falls upon...Electric Insp for NEC and Plans/Specs.; Building or Fire for seismic; Fire/Building for 'fire rated' assembly. (My understanding of the NJ UCC)

The 'common sense' rule.....enforcement??

John
R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks John!

I'm bidding a "Family Dollar" store in Camden.
The specs are "cookie cutter" for each store. They require 8' fixtures, surface mounted on a drop ceiling. (I know I mentioned troffers in my original post, but I believe the question still pertains.)
I'm looking at Caddy "4G" series fixture mounts and wonder if additional support would be required.

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcTwistOnFixSprt.asp

Last edited by Redsy; 11/04/07 09:15 PM.
John:
IMHO, the 'common sense' aproach should be used. Back in time..8' channels were heavy, made of real metal, and had heavier mag ballasts, so...additional support was required.

What do the plans/spec indicate; if anything. Also, I (IMHO) would check out the grid. Some 'new' grid is pretty flimsy, and how much support is on the grid itself?

I have negotiated 'extra' ceiling wire from the ceiling contractor; it was a worthwile $$$ spent.

Check out Caddy 'IDS' items Independent Support Clips.

John
HotLine,

We'll have to make you an official "California Guy". crazy

Out here in Seismic Area 4, we use the Caddy IDS hangers that you recommend for just such an application.

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcIndSprtClps.asp

They're of extra value when the layout of the fixtures, lighting track, etc. don't fall right on a main runner of the grid. The cross tees are comparatively weak and the IDS support clips can provide the support for the fixtures no matter what the layout.

Usually the GC will have the ceiling contractor shoot the additional support wires and seismic splay wires. If not, a case of beer or 2 to the ceiling guy seems to do the trick

smile

G
I like the 'extra' ceiling wire idea.

I worked at an industrial plant outside Chicago and one of the processes was carried out in a room that had 2x4 troffers and a suspended ceiling. The process was apparently corrosive to the ceiling wires, because 1 day the whole grid let loose and dropped tiles on everybody.

The troffers stayed hanging by their small safety chains. If not for that little bit of extra protection, I'm sure that someone would have gotten a fixture dropped on their head that day.

Ghost307
Electure:
Thank you for the honor of being a Calif. guy. I spent a little shy of three weeks from SF to San Diego quite a few years ago, and really would like to get back! This time SF north to ???

John

Link Copied to Clipboard