ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#170462 11/03/07 06:25 PM
M
MMK Offline OP
Hello,
Wonder if anyone has any good suggestions? I want to find a motor for one of our machines that will work worldwide. I.e. be suitable for the American and European voltages (110VAC/230vAc). Motor power is 1/3HP(250W) approx. Driving an augur screw, material conveying. I know you can get dual voltage single phase AC motors. Is there any other solution, perhaps using a 3ph motor and some drive/converter that could cope with single phase 110 or 230vac?
All suggestions welcome,
Michael.

L
Does it matter if the motor changes speeds when run on 60 Hz vs. 50 Hz? If not, then a 115/230V motor should work. It will probably be warmer when running on 50 Hz than 60. It won't be the most efficient motor, but it should run.

Larry

M
MMK Offline OP
Hi Larry,
I think we can cope with the speed difference. Any suggestions on motors to choose from? Also, any suggestions on how to do the current trip? I dont want to have to use differing trip ratings for the American and European machines, but cannot think of a way around this?
Michael.

L
What is the mechanical load like? Does the motor see a constant torque like a reducing gear box? Does the load start out as a stalled load like an air compressor starting up against a pressurized tank? Does the mechanical load take a long time to come up to speed? Will the mechanical load backdrive the motor?

What kind of duty cycle will the motor see? What kind of environment will the motor be in? Constant high or low temperatures, wet or dry, dusty, high vibration, run to fail or preventative maintenance, external or internal fan cooled.

What horse power range? 1/4, 1/2, 1, 3, 5 HP?

Details help. smile

M
MMK Offline OP
Larry,
Here are some more details on motor and application:
Motor = 1/3HP approx.
Will have gearbox, most likely RA, final o/p rpm = 80-100rpm.
100% duty cycle....almost.
Factory environment. fairly benign.
Driving an augur screw, churning up granules, reasonably high starting torque required.
Hope this helps,
Michael.

Link Copied to Clipboard