ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#170435 11/02/07 09:22 PM
F
frank Offline OP
Can 12/4 be ran from three phase panels for normal and standard emergency recepticals in a computer room?
thanks

S
What exactly are "normal and standard emergency receptacles"? And I don't think I've seen any reference to computer rooms in the code book.

Shawn.

W
Are you referring to two different sources ( normal from hydro and standby, from say a UPS or a genset) inside a common piece of cable such as 12/4 bx cable?

F
frank Offline OP
It's a hospital so the equipment is on both generator and UPS.Would 12/4 or any 4 conductor ac90 be legal on general purpose recepticals from 3 phase panels.I have only used it for 3 phase 4 wire equipment not plugs.I'm thinking the neutral could possibly end up being to small.The 12/4 comes from the panel to a j-box where they split into circiuts.Not the way i would do it but if it passes so be it.
thanks

W
What you have is an emergency panel feeding a UPS that feeds to outlet in a server room??? Three hots and a neutral for plugs. I don't think it is illegal as per the Canadian Electrical Code to do that unless the circuits are in a intermediate and critical care area (24-110) That said, any recent wiring I have seen done in healthcare facilities all seem to use a hot and a dedicated common labelled as such for each hot. (two wire circuits)

J
You can do it, but with harmonic producing loads such as that found in computer rooms, you are better off with a separate neutral for each circuit. Certain harmonics can load up the neutral beyond the ampacity of a single circuit.

Link Copied to Clipboard