ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
stator Offline OP
I have an apartment complex that im installing a 1300 amp meter bank assembly (13 meter sockets, 1 main disconnect)this will be an overhead single phase 120/240 service. The point of attachment for power co. is about 20' above the meter assembly. i would amuch appreciate any help here from the board on sizing the service and grounding conductor. im currently in the process of preparing the plans for this project.

Thanks C.L

Last edited by stator; 10/31/07 02:15 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
One would need to know the size of the Service Entrance conductors to size the Grounding Electrode Conductor. When this is known use T. 250.66. You should not have to size this GEC larger than 3/0 cu or 250 KCMIL Alm. You may qualify for a smaller size based on the type of grounding electrode you find available.
Ground rods(s) Max would #6 cu, Concrete encased electrode Max #4 cu.

George Little
F
I will go with 3/0 CU but may i ask about the service size you say 1300 amp ?? this is kinda oddball size if this was on 1200 amp service i can understand then you use the 3/0.

But for ground rod wire useally #6 will do it but becarefull here some area will required larger one typically #4 or larger

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

S
stator Offline OP
I stand corrected The main breaker on this will be a 1400 amp. would these service conductors be parallel?

E
Unless these apartments are huge or use a lot of electricity in electric baseboard heat, 1400 amps seems way too big to me. Did you do any calculations???? 13 apartments times 100 amps each doesn't cut it. What is the total square footage? any electric ranges?, electric dryers? kitchen small appliance branch circuits? figure in demand factor per 220 part III or IV.

Earl
Tom Offline
You might try looking at some of the examples in Annex D in the back of your code book to get an idea how to calculate the service size needed.

The calculations aren't hard. It will probably take you longer to gather the information than to do the actual calculation.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
S
stator Offline OP
Thanks for the reply, but its already been established what each unit is going to require, My question for the board was what size conductors are needed from point of attachment to line side of disconnect.

S
stator Offline OP
Thanks Tom, I will look Annex D over.

S
I couldn't agree with earlydean more: 1400 amps seems to be an extremely large service for 13 apts. Thats more than 100 amps each. Who determined that the service should be sized to 1400 amps? Are these unusually large units with air conditioning, hot tubs, and other fancy power hungry appliances? I have seen large machine shops operating lots of huge machinery with many HID lights etc. on smaller services than that.

Shawn

Link Copied to Clipboard