ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 289 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
May I suggest some web browsing start points. Obviously these are biased to my sort of interests, and also to the North of England,- but then you are starting off in Scotland!
www.golakes.co.uk (Cumbrian lake district)
www.nationaltrust.org.uk (Historic buildings)
www.andertonboatlift.co.uk (A specific bit of industrial canal history, with links leading to other canal features)
www.nrm.org.uk (National railway museum)
Driving on the 'wrong' side isn't too bad after a while. I do it on the continent. The fact someone has moved the gear lever is a constant reminder, and its a good idea to tell your passenger it is their job to monitor what you are doing at first. Don't venture into big cities. Most have "Park and Ride" schemes; Car parks with bus services ito the centres.

P
I'm now in the slightly embarrassing situation of having to admit that I've never been to Scotland! I know, I know, lived and traveled around the U.S., been to France, Spain, and so on, but never set foot in England's next-door neighbor to the north. crazy

Anyway, as you've said, you're not going to find anywhere as deserted and unpopulated as much of the U.S., certainly not once you make it down as far as the Midlands and South of England. Out here in East Anglia we have a lower than average population density, but places will still seem pretty close together coming from America. Once you start getting nearer to London, expect congestion. Every time I go back down there it seems to be worse than the time before. To be honest, I find it a rat-race now. frown

Anyway, I'll second the suggestions about renting a car. The rail network will take you around to some places, but if you really want to get off the beaten track and explore the countryside, a car is just about essential. Britain has fewer rail branch lines now than in the past, thanks to the (in)famous Dr. Beeching and the government closing and tearing up many of them during the 1960s/70s.

I don't think you should find driving on the "wrong" side that much of a problem after a few miles to get used to it. I guess some people find adapting easier than others, but having driven all four combinations of LHD and RHD cars on both sides of the road, I've never had any problem switching between them. Negotiating roundabouts (traffic circles) -- of which there are many in all shapes and sizes -- will probably be the point where you need the most concentration, watching for approaching traffic and remembering to going clockwise into the circle.

Other important driving rules while we're on the subject:

* At roundabouts you must yield to approaching traffic from the right.

* Speed limits are 30 MPH in town, 60 on the open highway, and 70 on divided highways ("dual carriageways"), unless otherwise posted. Once you reach any main highway these days, speed cameras are everywhere.

* Turns on red are not permitted anywhere (unless a green arrow is displayed simultaneously).

* "No passing" lines follow the same solid/dashed principle as the U.S. but are white, not yellow.

* Yellow lines at the edge of the road indicate parking restrictions. London and some of the other large urban area also have red lines in some places now. Don't even think about parking there.

Maybe I should put an American Flag on the front bumper so they will know I might turn the wrong way.

I have one on the back of my little Bronco II: smile

[Linked Image]

G
Thanks Paul, I learned to drive in DC so I am no stranger to "roundabouts". I am still not sure why other places in the US see them as some kind of traffic panacea, I guess, up to a point they help traffic move but once you overload one you really end up with a mess. In DC they tunneled under the big ones.

Greg Fretwell
P
Originally Posted by gfretwell
but once you overload one you really end up with a mess.

That's what I see here over in Norwich where the ring road is full of the things. I try to avoid rush hour there, but the roundabouts are terrible with heavy traffic because anything not already on the ring road barely has a chance to get into the flow. So what's the traffic planners' solution? Put traffic lights on the roundabout! shocked What a mess.....

Fortunately, outside of the rush-hours, Norwich is pretty easy as British cities go, and a few miles out you're back on relatively quiet country roads.

If you really want to get to grips with roundabouts though, try this one:

http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

Last edited by pauluk; 11/01/07 01:18 PM.
G
Strewth, Paul! Are you trying to put Greg off coming at all? The very look of that Swindon roundabout frightens me and I've driven all over UK and much of Europe!
What's the chances of a stranger to the area exiting it on the correct route?

I'm now in the slightly embarrassing situation of having to admit that I've never been to Scotland! I know, I know, lived and traveled around the U.S., been to France, Spain, and so on, but never set foot in England's next-door neighbor to the north.

There was an ad campaign on here in the late 70's, that stated (with a little song) "Don't leave town 'til you've seen the country", it was talking about folks here choosing a holiday in Aussie rather than seeing the countryside here.

That round-about looks like a real nightmare to negotiate, are there what looks like parking spaces in the middle of it?

G
The circles in DC all ended up with lights on them.

Greg Fretwell
P
Originally Posted by geoff in UK
Strewth, Paul! Are you trying to put Greg off coming at all?

grin

It sure looks intimidating, doesn't it? I've never been around the Swindon junction, but I have negotiated the similar one in Colchester. Mike, there are no parking spaces in there, just the round central island with curb.

On a more encouraging note, here's a plug for this part of the country:

http://www.visitnorfolk.co.uk/

G
Paul, I am not sure my wife is going to let me check out too many of the "Norfolk Broads".

Greg Fretwell
E
Originally Posted by gfretwell
The circles in DC all ended up with lights on them.

Yes, there are lights alright.......Merely suggestions of course! Washington Circle is my weekly favorite.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard