ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 265 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Surpluscenter.com is selling the guts out of one of those counter top soft drink dispensers. item 1-1302 $19.95
It has a 1/12 hp compressor reefer. You could do some serious PC cooling with one of those.

Greg Fretwell
N
PC water cooling systems and even refrigerated CPU coolers are already being sold commercially:

http://pcpowerzone.com/watcoolsys.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/cebit2008-1_5.html#sect0

G
I guess if you like complexity, go for it. Personally I have never seen a PC that couldn't be air cooled. I know IBM got away from water cooled machines as soon as they could. (when they got fast CMOS)
Even with transistor logic we ran everything but the biggest machines on air.

Greg Fretwell
S
There are only two real reasons for any consumer watercool:

1) Eliminate the fans and make it quieter
2) Agressive overclocking using TECs for cryogenic cooling

I was overclocking my PC about 30% when I was watercooling, which is agressive, but not overly so; I'm doing the same 30% overclock in my PC right now with a simple heat pipe. The big problem is when using TECs, as for every watt they cool, they pump out about 2W for every 1W of cooling, and traditional heat sinks just can't keep up. With sub-zero temperatures, people can get the processors sometimes 50% faster than they're supposed to be capable of.

G
My first thought is the CPU is seldom the bottleneck in a PC . Are you also water cooling the other chips like the video processor or the drives? You still need to move some air.

Greg Fretwell
S
The CPU is a veritible space heater. Removing that heat from the case makes everything else that much cooler. I've seen some people watercool the GPU, north bridge and PSU, but I didn't- usually, they do that more to go fanless than for any sort of speed increase.

The performance bottleneck really depends on the application; in my case, the CPU speed helped, but my FSB was starting to become the bottleneck in the benchmarks I cared about, so 30% CPU overclock only really gave about a 25% speed inrease.

G

Greg Fretwell
S
Wow, for $40, that's pretty kick-ass cool! I know people who were taking apart small refrigerators and dehumidifiers to do that, and you can't even get a custom plate milled for that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard