ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
bruman Offline OP
maybe some one can help me out.Are fire pads needed on reciptical & switch boxes that are in a fire wall.stair-well wall and or fire rated shaft walls.I know about being at least 20" apart in same bay & back to back but single boxes ,like lighting box switch,recipt,p/s ect.Inspector in redlands california is making me do it and I could't find were it said that in NEC,ICC BUILDING CODE.THANK YOU FOR THE HELP.BRUCE

If you look in the IBC at Section 711, Penetrations, you'll find it.
In particular check 711.3.2, "Membrane Penetrations", which addresses Steel electrical boxes.

(BTW, the horizontal distance between boxes in opposite sides of the wall must be 24" not 20", unless one of the other conditions is met)

J
You are into the NFPA or BOCA life/safety codes. A fire marshall or AHJ can demand more fire rating. The electrical code may deal with penetrations but not fire ratings. Each type of box has a UL fire rating, but again if the AHJ wants more you have to install them. Remember the different disaplines, fire, life safety, will include all the differing codes into their inspections. And the fire marshall in many times is the most powerful.

Z
Here in California, especially Southern, expect to work to the letter of the law (and even beyond) under every available code book in the coming years. We have been devistated by these fires, and although there is nothing pointing to any cause other than deliberate ignition, everybody is going to be very concerned about everything fire-related.

You can expect AHJs to be very strict, and to probably come up with some extra, on-the-spot requirements that they may think necessary at the time.

Just do whatever they want, within reason of course. Nobody wants to think they might have a hand in the next round of devistation.

Good Luck!

E
In the IBC, Article 707 covers stairwell shafts. In Section 707.8.1 it is prohibited to have any penetrations into the shaft assembly except for those necessary for the purpose of the shaft. This includes any receptacles or switches that only penetrate from the room side. To do it right, you must use a surface wiring method, or a false wall would need to be build (hat-channel) on the outside surface of the rated wall that encloses the stairwell.
The local BO is cutting you some slack here. Putty packs are not really allowed either. he is using section 104.11, which allows for the use of alternative materials. As a BO, I would not allow this, as it isn't equivalent nor complies with the intent of the code, IMHO.

Earl
L
A note on fire marshals, we did a kitchen with a fire suppression system. Out of 3 different inspectors I got 3 different ways they wanted the exhaust and intake air wire. One wanted all power off one wanted the exhaust air left on and the other wanted the exhaust air on a time delay restart. The last one to look got it his way (exhaust fan on) which is the way I had it in the first place. Rod

Link Copied to Clipboard