ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Does anyone have an awesome idea for advertising a product we can sell/service. Next year I plan to hire my first employee and I want to have the phone ringing off the hook when that day come. I thought of the idea of marketing "Safety in the Home" We'll come in and upgrade your 10+year old smoke alarms and GFCI's throughout your home and get your home up to date when it come to safety. For like $599.99 or something like that. Show an ad with a quote from a NFPA about how your smoke should be updated every 10 years etc. I think people want first and foremost to be safe. I think this will get me in their homes and other safety concerns will become extras.... What do ya guys think?

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Cat Servant
For anyone wanting to know the real facts about advertising - or marketing - there is but one place to go;

"My Life in Advertising / Scientific Advertising" by Claude Hopkins.

Quite affordable, and readily found at Amazon, B&N, etc. Written at the start of the Great Depression, it's every bit as true today as it ever was.

IMO, the best marketing tool you can have is word of mouth.
This is generated by good workmanship and your manners around your customers.

T
In over 2 decades I haven't found anything that will make the phone ring off the hook.

Dave

C
How about being too busy to take any more for a while?
That usually gets my phone to ring.

I
ITO Offline
I don’t do residential, they whine, are demanding, don’t pay well and will gladly waste your time diagnosing a problem and getting your quote, only to later go with some guy working out of station wagon who is 2% cheaper than you. They also not steady enough for my needs.

Commercial customers on the other had, whine are demanding but they mostly pay on time and are a steady gig. They still shop your number but they guys in the station wagons don’t usually have insurance so they are out.

If you are looking for work, and want the phone ringing go talk to the maintenance men or building managers at your local commercial buildings, a lot of them are on the look out for a good contractor and if you make them happy they will send work your way. Retail and office buildings are the best, because they have turn over and when the new tenants come in, one of the first people they ask for a recommendation is the building manager, and if you come to mind then you get the first call for a quote.

Make sure you have a big stack of business cards, when you go and go more than once, get to know their names and make a good impression. Another thing you can do is to offer to help if they need budget number for new leases or remodels or lighting retrofits.

95% of my business is from word of mouth, and being on bidders lists. If you do enough small jobs for the national contractors who do the small retail spaces you will get on some bidders list, and if you do them well you name will get around. GCs are always looking for a good electrician.

Some guys do well in the residential service market, I am just not one of them.

My advice is worth what you paid for it…

101° Rx = + /_\
T
There's a carpeting outfit that does TV ads out of Chicago. They're broadcasting to a 60 mile (minimum) radius from Chicago, so I guess their territory covers 3 states. They used to have a spokesman, now he's digital. He whips out a carpet, the furniture jumps up & the new carpet is in!!!

I'll bet their phone rings off the hook.

Dave

Z
Business is like peeling an orange - once you get it started, it's pretty easy, but getting into it is the hard part.

Your ad idea sounds pretty good. Remain flexible and observant, as your market is probably different than any of ours. Find your niche by keeping your eyes open, and don't be afraid to think creatively when marketing yourself or pursuing new markets.

Good Luck!

G
Thanks Zapped positive thinking is always good to hear. I peeled an orange once and juice squirted in my eye. I realize you have to be careful what your getting yourself into with business. What type of market are you in?

Z
I split my work between new construction and HOA work. When one is slow, the other pays the bills and vise versa.

In other words, I do just about anything for a buck! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard