ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
I will go with "word of mouth". It worked for me and others I have worked for.
I have some simple steps that may help you.

1) Hire only the best. Clean cut, drug free and the ability to find other paying jobs on the same site. You get what you pay for.
2) Make sure your service truck is clean inside and out. Well stocked. Your employee is clean and well mannered. First impressions are very important
3) Have business cards. To pass out when you meet with potential customers. Always have a few in your pocket or wallet.
4) Advertize in the newspaper.
3) Advertize in the Yellow Pages. If you don't have a company name, pick a name that will be the first listed in the directory if possible. Like "Abel Electric" The sky is unlimited in a name.
4) Always follow up with customers AFTER a job and make sure they are completely satisfied.
5) If you tell someone you will call, check on something ect...make sure you do.
6) Others here may have many more suggestions. Read them and decide what is best for your company.

Note: During your interview proccess, while the prospective employee is with you, have someone go out and look inside their car or truck. If it is filthy and piles of McDonalds bags are piled up on the floor. Think of what he or she would do on the job. Would he clean up after himself? Would he leave hand prints all over the customers walls? And on and on.
I know this sounds a little over board, but we tried it at a big company I worked for and we found that if the car or truck test passed, we were happy with each of those hires. They made us proud.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
go with 60/40 rule you get 60% of your business from 40% of your customers. Do a mailing to existing customers, flyer or newsletter. Or announce your new tech arrival in a flyer run a special in his/her honor replace all your 10 yr old smokes and get a free co2 detector or something. Just some thoughts:)

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
the best marketing I ever got was a fly-by night I hate to call it that but I don't know how else to describe them. they offered a blitz package with radio and tv for a pile of non-competing businesses - the price was dirt cheap (like $85)
and (coincidentally?) my phone DID ring off the hook for the month following. the problem: it was a one shot deal and the agents had moved on to the next town.
Aside from that, the long slow uphill climb of reliability, integrity, neatness, honesty (satisfied customers in your wake wherever you go - allowing for the occasional unsatisfiable customer)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard