ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#169882 10/18/07 10:51 PM
B
BigB Offline OP
Lights of America sells some great looking, made in USA lighting fixtures. Trouble is, about 25% of the new ones I have bought are defective from the start, about another 20% don't last a year.

I guess they are junk, I can't afford to waste any more of my time on them. Anyone else tried them?

BigB #169886 10/18/07 11:03 PM
Trouble is with lights of America, the replacement lamps are usually as much as the fixture in the first place! I don't believe I've ever seen any of their fixtures (except for at a motel chain, we'll leave the light on...) last more than a year.

I try to stick with Hubbell, RAB, HALO and Lithonia for my lighting needs smile

Z
I have replaced several. Ultra-crap. Not only are the lamps proprietary, the ballasts are on a little PC board and are not worth replacement.

Oddly enough, I have a community that I work in that has has some of these lights that I've been replacing as they die, and there are still some units that are operational after the 4-5 years that I've been servicing this community. However, I would still not advise their use.

Good Luck!

E
The problem is that the phrase "made in USA" is useless anymore. It really doesn't reflect quality like it used to. Fact is, quality is becoming increasingly rare in the US, both in products and labor. Everybody has such "attitude" anymore to the extent that I think they should start taking water coolers out of the office.

Items made in the Orient are starting to be more attractive in a lot of ways. I guess that their quality is increasing since a supervisor can still hit an employee in the back of the head with a stick if they aren't doing a good job.

[Linked Image from home.student.utwente.nl]

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
S
Originally Posted by EV607797
I guess that their quality is increasing since a supervisor can still hit an employee in the back of the head with a stick if they aren't doing a good job.

Maybe that's why we do such superior work laugh

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
L
Originally Posted by EV607797
The problem is that the phrase "made in USA" is useless anymore. It really doesn't reflect quality like it used to. Fact is, quality is becoming increasingly rare in the US, both in products and labor. Everybody has such "attitude" anymore to the extent that I think they should start taking water coolers out of the office.

Items made in the Orient are starting to be more attractive in a lot of ways. I guess that their quality is increasing since a supervisor can still hit an employee in the back of the head with a stick if they aren't doing a good job.

[Linked Image from home.student.utwente.nl]

Sad commentary.

Lets start by not cutting each others B---s off, and hire trained licensed and registerd apprentices, stay away from "day labor".

Big corps = Profit over product. That makes us look bad.

Stop buying their product. Pay for and sell quality.

If we all get on the same page, things will change by themselves.

Link Copied to Clipboard