ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#169871 10/18/07 06:56 PM
S
I have a new guy starting Monday. He will be my first employee. I haven't presented any paperwork to him yet. I need to create an employee handbook which spells out what is expected, not tolerated, etc.

So I am looking for suggestions as to the content of the handbook.

Thanks in advance......

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Cat Servant
I can't say this strongly enough: Consult an attorney.

Labor laws vary greatly from state to state. An 'employee manual' can, in some cases, help shield you from spurious claims. In other cases, it can become a real millstone.

Failing that, the only thing I would recommend as a 'short cut' would be to copy precisely the manual currently in use by some company that gets sued a lot. Or, the manual of a Union contractor. In either case, you can be sure that the manual has withstood extensive review and legal challenges.

Since you are in Illinois, I also suggest that you check out the "Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education" )or IICLE). They have a variety of excellent publications that cover nearly every legal topic. Don't let the prices scare you ... they're worth every dollar!

I
ITO Offline
Here in Texas, we have an agency called The Texas Workforce Commission, which is just a fancy name for the unemployment office. They have seminars, and very inexpensive literature on what the employment rules are for our State, and what is legal and not legal to put in your handbook.

They do recommend a handbook and give you an outline of what you should cover in yours. Check your own state agencies and see if your local unemployment office does the same.

101° Rx = + /_\

Link Copied to Clipboard