ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Haligan Offline OP
Not looking forward to cracked bleeding skin.
Any moisturizer out there that doesn't turn your grip into slippery, slimy mess? I've tried a bunch and if there's something good out there I haven't found it yet.

I don't know what's worse, hand pain or picking up a hammer that feels like it's been dipped in 40 weight.

L
Bag balm aka Udder Ointment. It takes about 15 minutes to be absorbed. Try farmer supply house. It is really good when your hands repeatedly alternate between wet and dry.

Larry C

Tom Offline
I use some stuff called AmLactin made by Upshur-Smith. I got it at WalMArt. I've tried quite a few things including bag balm & Crack Cream & this is better IMO.

This stuff is a little pricey, about $12 or $13 for an 8oz bottle, but it sure beats the pain of cracked fingertips.

Be advised, it stings like all get out if you have any cuts or cracks, but it only lasts for a little while.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Cat Servant
I've had great results with Neutrogena. No perfume, does not feel greasy, a tiny bit goes far ... and hands heal real fast.

Though ... think for a second as to the cause of the cracking and peeling. If your hands also happen to be wet a lot, or you are seeing tiny clusters of pinhead size blisters .... you probably have a fungus, AKA "athletes foot." There are also creams (creams are not oily; ointments are)for that as well.

H
Haligan Offline OP
No hand fungus. Just dry and brittle skin. It will be nice to have a little preventative medicine this year. Thx all.

I knew one guy many years ago who emptied a container of lotion into his coat pockets. Then he could just dip his hands in. This guy was a reporter. Probably used to standing around with his hands in his pockets.

E
e57 Offline
Try simply drinking more water... And washing the dirt from you hands more often with milder soap. Or wearing gloves... Besides some protection from cuts and such, they cut down on wicking of moisture via dirt or air.

On top of just dry air in some climates this time of year - dirt from our line of work can wick moister out of your hands. That coupled with a few beers at night, and/or a few cups of coffee in the morning without backing it up with some water can do a number on you after a while.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
B
Every winter I have the same problem. The best stuff I have come across is a product called "Debba". It works pretty good and is not "slimy" at all once it soaks in.
Not sure if it is availible in the U.S. but if you can find it, it might be worth a try.

http://www.debcanada.com/

Last edited by bigrockk; 10/10/07 11:06 AM. Reason: To correct a bad link
G
The strange thing is I never remembered this being a problem when I lived in the frozen north but now when I visit my skin seems to get crusty and my nose bleeds. I do my best to stay below the 27th parallel now where the humidity is always over 60%.

Greg Fretwell
W
I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands.
The stuff works better than anything else I've tried.

Originally Posted by WNYJim
I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands.
The stuff works better than anything else I've tried.

My dad and I both use it, so I agree!

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard