ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
From Ian, TheElectricKid:

The first pic is the all-too-common unanchoredm unprotected Romex:

[Linked Image]

Then there is the classic manner of hanging a light:

[Linked Image]

Things aren't much better inside the home:

[Linked Image]

Finally, our usual fine range receptacle install:

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Thanks John, fitting title!

And before anyone asks, yes that is zipcord on that attic light. And yes, it used to go to a non-deadfront plug. (Since replaced with a modern, compliant one. At least until it goes to scrap.)

And yes, that old redwood 2X4 gets warm when the light's on for a few hours of work.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
M
The flying splices are the icing on the cake.

I guess it might be the lighting (HAHA!) but it looks like there was a previous fire in this attic...if not give it time - we have fires all the time from people hanging light bulbs next to wood siding, wood posts, curtains, plastic shutters, clothing, etc.

i can only imagine what the service for this fine residential installation looked like...

Mike (mamills)

Last edited by mamills; 10/05/07 11:30 AM.
P
Except for the range receptacle, that could almost be pictures from this side of the pond as well.

What's the gray in the first photo Ian? (Looks as though the plant pot would be hanging on it if the ceiling gave way!)

Is that more unsecured Romex, or is it something like SE?

C
Ian, get a clamp-lamp. It is a self contained socket-reflector-clamp good for clamping onto timber and using for a temporary work light. I had one I religiously used, but it got mangled to death somehow.

Originally Posted by mamills
The flying splices are the icing on the cake.

Believe or not, no flying (frying?) splices in these pics, just old raggedy NM! That dryer cable was replaced due to one though. I'll get pics of that when the drywall comes down in the garage.

I guess it might be the lighting (HAHA!) but it looks like there was a previous fire in this attic...if not give it time - we have fires all the time from people hanging light bulbs next to wood siding, wood posts, curtains, plastic shutters, clothing, etc.

Close, but not quite. See those metal straps in the background? The handyman installed a modular fireplace in the living room and put the chimney through the garage attic and roof. He must not have lined up the sections well enough, be cause they separated, and the nice hot smoke discolored all the wood, and burned a nice hole in the plywood sheathing.

i can only imagine what the service for this fine residential installation looked like...

John, more pics headed your way!

Originally Posted by Pauluk
What's the gray in the first photo Ian? (Looks as though the plant pot would be hanging on it if the ceiling gave way!)

Is that more unsecured Romex, or is it something like SE?

That's more Romex. It goes to the handyman's fireplace's fans, which no longer work. It comes off an ungrounded circuit somewhere...

Originally Posted by classicsat
Ian, get a clamp-lamp. It is a self contained socket-reflector-clamp good for clamping onto timber and using for a temporary work light. I had one I religiously used, but it got mangled to death somehow.

Unfortunately the closet light "has to do" (said my father) until (more like if) the garage gets rewired.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Cat Servant
Here are pics of the service to this house:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Back when I was a Firefighter, we had a house fire call. Upon arrival the second floor was well involved. After we put the fire out, we interviewed the homeowner. He stated that in the closet where the fire started, it had a pull chain cord connected light. It was wrapped around a nail. In his words "It had been sparkin for weeks every time you turned the light on" The closet was filled with his teenage girls gowns. (he tried to put it out with a cooking pot before he called us. He was a lawyer. Real smart!

S
Ian, a clamp lamp only costs about 5 or 6 dollars if you get it at a Walmart or some similar big-box mega-lo-mart. Your dad's being a skinflint.

When I was a 12-year old kid (many many many many moon ago), I used to drape a piece of old extension cord with a bulb socket at the end over a nail, just like that. When we moved out of that apartment, I had left a burn-mark the size of a quarter on the wallpaper. eek

P.S. You still got the old plug? Trade you for the clamp lamp if you can't score a cheap one. Hehehehe crazy

Last edited by SvenNYC; 10/09/07 03:26 PM.
S
Originally Posted by WESTUPLACE
"It had been sparkin for weeks every time you turned the light on" The closet was filled with his teenage girls gowns. (he tried to put it out with a cooking pot before he called us. He was a lawyer. Real smart!

Reminds me of the Harlem building fire a few days ago. It was caused by a gas leak, according to authorities.

Apparently people had smelled town-gas in that building for weeks...but nobody had ever called the gas company to report it!!! shocked mad eek

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard