ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Four at a minimum in my area and that's assuming that they are actually working and the customers are paying promptly. Don't forget; the boss is always the last one to get paid.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
B
bot540 Offline OP
I have enough work to keep 4 guys at the present but I don't have enough saved for payroll yet. I have learned well how most customers pay and a 4 man payroll can deplete even a moderate savings fast.
Has anyone made the jump, figure it wasn't profitable and went back to working with the tools?

Last edited by bot540; 10/09/07 07:40 PM.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
I
ITO Offline
I would love too, but only because I am getting fat, and my stress level is through the roof.

101° Rx = + /_\
Broom Pusher and
What about managing 40 projects at the same time, and:
  • Someone asking "About _THAT_ Quote"
  • E-mails with one project's name in the subject, contains info about 4 other projects,
  • Quotes for materials without project name,
  • Client wants to go back to the "3rd change" of 6,
  • Trying to eat Lunch,,,
  • Figure out what someone's name &/or phone number is, from a "Rapid-Fire" voicemail message,
  • Actually finding SOMEONE in their Office when you call,
  • The only Person with the Information needed is - of course, on Vacation for 2 weeks,
  • following up on the RFIs,
  • Engineering / Designing a Project, performing Take-Offs, compiling Proposals, Fax, UPS & E-mail everything out by the near-impossible due dates, etc.,
  • Another P.M. calls you, and asks you to "Do A Quick Take-Off, It Will Only Take a Few Minutes" - which occupies 4 hours of your day,
  • I can't think of any more...

As mentioned before by others - and somewhat in my Parody List, taking an Office position is anything but relaxing (as compared to working in the field); which makes me wonder why we do it at all???
wink

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
A
Ed,

I just read your post and couldn't stop cracking up. I've experienced everyone of the top "13". My favorite was the customer with barely a pulse.

I recently just took a long overdue honeymoon with my wife of 15 years. While calling into the field I found out the 22K sf house we just wired was stripped of all the wire.

Thanks for sharing!!

Bob

G
I spent about 25 of my 30 on the road with no office to go to , 4 split between road and office and about 1 stuck in an office 9-5 (6 months instructor and 6 months service planning/support center rep). I was literally "itching" to get out of both of those jobs.
The only good thing I can say about office work is you don't have to fight traffic all day. The rest sux.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard