ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#169356 10/02/07 11:08 PM
B
BigB Offline OP
I'd like to get an idea on how many here include phone & CATV on new construction. Also, if you do, then do you make up the terminations at trimout or just blank them up?

Thanks.

BigB #169367 10/03/07 06:59 AM
P
I don't get involved with much new construction, but when I do (or with a major refurb) I always ask about telephone wiring. The most common response I get is "Oh, we never thought about that - Yes, you'd better make provision." Then they suddenly realize that they want a telephone in the kitchen, the main bedroom, etc.

CATV -- As it's never likely to reach this part of the country, no, but I'll always inquire about outlets for a regular UHF rooftop antenna, whether they want backfeeds to get satellite/DVD/VCR signals etc. into other rooms, and so on.

pauluk #169368 10/03/07 07:10 AM
S
CATV incurs loss at every connection, so it's not really in anyone's interest to install jacks in every room and hook them up to a giant splitter, as signal quality will be horrible. Best to still install jacks to every room (and multiple places in living rooms where they might want a TV on different walls) and run them TO the splitter, but only actually hook up the jacks to the splitter that will be used. Cheap and easy to run & hook up. WAY cheaper and easier than waiting until the house is complete, no?

Phone lines are cheap and easy to wire and hook up, too. Not very professional to blank them out, is it? I know I'd be pissed if I paid $300k+ for a home and had to hire someone to come back to wire up a jack so I could hook up a phone into a phone jack...

Same with CAT5 ethernet cabling now. Biggest problem here is figuring out where to run them to wink

Last edited by SteveFehr; 10/03/07 07:10 AM.
SteveFehr #169369 10/03/07 07:27 AM
P
Low voltage wiring can be an often overlooked item. Couple that with VOIP and/or wireless technology and it becomes a more difficult choice for the HO/GC. I generally advise at least 1 "wired" phone (in case of a power outage, no power for cordless phones). Run CATV "home runs" from a central point to rooms most likely to need them (bedrooms/living room) and inquire about a home office/computer room. Many homeowners choose to install a wireless network (routers, printer servers, etc), rather than wired. IMHO it's better to have it installed and not need it, than the other way around. pete

petey_c #169375 10/03/07 11:10 AM
G
When my wife was building houses the low voltage was done by a different company than line voltage. It really is a different skill set.

Greg Fretwell
gfretwell #169379 10/03/07 11:50 AM
Z
I do it, at least on resi work. Basically, anything with a wire attached to it I do, including home entertainment (I have an AA in sound engineering).

It's really pretty simple, and it makes my job eaiser not to have anybody else pulling wire/cable through my job. I have complete control over what goes where and how it gets there.

As far as pre-wire for cable/sat, if the customer can afford it, I run two co-ax to every location, color coded at the plate. This way, they can run any configuration, including the 2nd dvr line required when sat is the provider.

Also, either optic or Ethernet and a phone line to the same modular plate if desired. All runs are home runs (except the phone) and they run to an in-wall hub (usually in a large walk-in closet or the garage) where all the distribution takes place and the services come in.

Usually the client will find that it is cheaper to have me do it than hiring another company that specializes in telecom. It's more work for me, and it's kinda nice to change-up my routine with a few other specialty jobs.

Good Luck!

Zapped #169381 10/03/07 12:15 PM
G
I do everything low-voltage like Zapped. I do not do too many intercoms or sound systems. I do cable,Sat, internet, phone, CCTV. I terminate everything and do everything from start to finish. Usually if it is a complete rehab, I recommend a small leviton intergrated network panel for the cable and phones. All are home runs, so the problem later down the road will be at jack, panel or out in town. I love all the new technology for low-voltage stuff.

Brian Gibbons
Zapped #169388 10/03/07 03:59 PM
E
Originally Posted by Zapped
Also, either optic or Ethernet and a phone line to the same modular plate if desired. All runs are home runs (except the phone) and they run to an in-wall hub (usually in a large walk-in closet or the garage) where all the distribution takes place and the services come in. Good Luck!

I disagree. Home runs for phones are probably more important than most others! Looping wiring for telephones is an age-old misconception. That's why most current voice hardware isn't designed for more than one cable termination.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
EV607797 #169393 10/03/07 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by EV607797

Looping wiring for telephones is an age-old misconception.

Quite true, Ed.
Ever since we changed over to the 2-wire phone system (from 3 wire) here in NZ it has been required that phone wiring be installed in "Star" topography (ie: all socket cables back to a single point).
It's much easier that way anyway, I've never liked the idea of looping anything together, apart from socket-outlets, it just screams of signal losses.

Trumpy #169398 10/03/07 09:40 PM
G
We run cat5 and rg6 home runs to all specified locations. Usually at least one per bedroom and living room. home runs make troubleshooting much easier. We stub them out the wall at the service and they do all the splicing. I made the mistake of stubbing them out eighty feet around the house and the phone co has to run their undergroud to the service. I had to trench undergound wire half way around the house and splice the wires together. Lots of extra hassle for me not thinking ahead.
I trim them out with cable or phone plates. charge the same opening price as an outlet.

question? When are the wall plane manufacturers going to run out of black and yellow wire and use the now standard blue/orange/green/brn?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard