ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 227 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
gfretwell #169586 10/09/07 12:27 PM
P
The ISP guy I was talking about insisted that the DSL modem could only be at the first jack even with correctly installed filters.

Over here, the service provider normally sends a few in-line filters with the "free" modem package, with the usual instructions to use them on all telephone equipment. If I find problems it's often caused by somebody who either just missed one or more phones, or who didn't realize that things like dial-up modems and satellite receiver phone lines also have to go through the filter.

I usually try to persuade people to go with a single filter at the demarcation point to keep things simpler. These are our standard master jacks, which also serve as the demarc between TelCo and customer wiring:

http://www.austin-taylor.co.uk/pages/nte5.htm

We can get DSL filters which are designed to replace that lower removable panel and come with filtered and unfiltered terminals on the rear for extension wiring, like these:

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtespec.php

Note that the unfiltered DSL connection is RJ11 configuration, the filtered voice jack is the standard BT431 phone connector.

As our standard voice extensions use white/blue for the line, plus one side of the white/orange pair for the bell feed, I usually run the unfiltered line on white/green then use a two-module extension jack assembly where DSL may be required.

EV607797 #169589 10/09/07 12:54 PM
M
Originally Posted by EV607797

Now, I have a question: Why do people think that they need to run CAT5 cable for voice? That is the functional equivalent of running 8/3 Romex for a bathroom fan. Talk about overkill and wasted money. Voice (phone lines) arrive to the premises via "category nothing" cable that runs for miles and miles. Using CAT5 or better for the last 100 feet isn't going to do anything to improve the signal quality. It will certainly empty wallets a bit faster though.

Running cat 5 for that last 100 feet makes sense in future possibilities. It is pretty hard to upgrade premis wiring after the drywall is on. Sure if all you ever carry is simple voice then cat 5 is way over the top. If your telco starts adding TV or Video or Internet as Telus is doing here then installing cat 5 can have a payoff for the customer. Our Telco specs cat 3 as a minimum and that beats Z station wire. The cost of cat 5 over cat 3 is around 3 to 7 cents a meter. On a house that is not that much more.

mikesh #169618 10/09/07 10:04 PM
E
e57 Offline
Originally Posted by mikesh
Originally Posted by EV607797

Now, I have a question: Why do people think that they need to run CAT5 cable for voice? That is the functional equivalent of running 8/3 Romex for a bathroom fan. Talk about overkill and wasted money. Voice (phone lines) arrive to the premises via "category nothing" cable that runs for miles and miles. Using CAT5 or better for the last 100 feet isn't going to do anything to improve the signal quality. It will certainly empty wallets a bit faster though.

Running cat 5 for that last 100 feet makes sense in future possibilities. It is pretty hard to upgrade premis wiring after the drywall is on. Sure if all you ever carry is simple voice then cat 5 is way over the top. If your telco starts adding TV or Video or Internet as Telus is doing here then installing cat 5 can have a payoff for the customer. Our Telco specs cat 3 as a minimum and that beats Z station wire. The cost of cat 5 over cat 3 is around 3 to 7 cents a meter. On a house that is not that much more.

True - you do not need Cat-5 for voice - However, you talk to you customer one day, and they say, "My desk is going to be over here, with my modem, and I have a network printer over there, and my personal assistants desk will be down stairs..." Then the next day - or more correctly the day they move in - it ALL CHANGES. Then you have a bunch of cat-3 in the wall that you can't "re-purpose" nessesarily - where with cat-5 you could. And not to mention several supply houses here have stopped carrying Cat-3 altogether.... It's now a special trip for me to get it.

I have also started running RG6 to every jack just due to people wanting cable modems, and SATV. Hey - they pay for it, and are well aware of the cost before I start...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
e57 #169639 10/10/07 01:54 PM
M
In Canada here is what the 4 ILEC's recommend for residential wiring taken from their web pages. Working west to east.

BC and Alberta Telus cat 5 to each jack

Saskatchawan SaskTel cat 5 to each jack

Manitoba MTS Allstream cat 3 and cat 5 (cat 5 for digital tv if required later at that location)

Everything east of Manitoba Bell Canada 3 pair cable cat not specified

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard