ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
We could require this technology. Each male cord end has to have an RFID chip on it and the receptacle reads the chip and if it trys to pull more current than it should, the power is cut off. It also meets the 2008 tamper resistant rule as there is no power at the receptacle contacts unless the RFID chip is against the receptacle.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
G
That sure sounds like something that will get thrown away the first time it fails.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
It's not a matter of my opinion ... but, rather, the position settled upon here (USA) long ago by 'the powers that be.'

Our electrical codes apply only to the permanent wiring. Extension cords are not part of this, so the relevance of the NEC is quite limited.

In short, we expect the user to have a certain amount of sense ... rather than try to 'nanny state' everything into being completely idiot proof. It's a rather basic part of American culture.

Originally Posted by gfretwell
That sure sounds like something that will get thrown away the first time it fails.

Lasko puts fused plugs on their 20" box fans. (The slightly large blue plug.)

I've found about 20 of them in the garbage with blown fuses. Fans are fine, the cheap plugs just fell apart/shorted and blew the fuse. Off with the plug, on with the new, up into the attic waiting for next year's block yard sale. ($15 a pop, anyone want one?)

Each male cord end has to have an RFID chip on it and the receptacle reads the chip and if it trys to pull more current than it should, the power is cut off. It also meets the 2008 tamper resistant rule as there is no power at the receptacle contacts unless the RFID chip is against the receptacle.
Don

And we're complaining about AFCIs driving up the price of electrical work...

Ian A.

Last edited by Theelectrikid; 10/04/07 08:52 PM.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
G
I just had one of those cheap box fans burn up in my garage. You may have cut off an important safety device ... at least to the listing.

Greg Fretwell
T
I guess the powers to request actions here would be the insurance companies... if they actually had enough electrically knowledged staff. Instead of refusing to insure houses with fuse panels they should do something about undersized extension cords. Another idea: CPSC. Enough recalls of undersized cords "due to the risk of fire" and the manufacturers are good to go.

C
You did "violate" the fan. My brother has one such fan, and it says not to replace the plug, but the whole appliance.

Originally Posted by classicsat
You did "violate" the fan. My brother has one such fan, and it says not to replace the plug, but the whole appliance.

That's a $20-$25 plug, as all the box fans I've had fail had shorted and melted plugs, not a problem with the fan. And I DON'T buy $5-$10 no-name box fans.

Oh, and there was one that the cat chewed the cord while it was plugged in and shorted it.

Sorry, I was only kidding about the cut-the-plug and sell them thing.

I DO have three with new plugs that I use in my room and in the garage windows when I spray paint.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Ian,
The point is that you are not replacing the plug with one WITH A FUSE. You are in essence bypassing the fusing by doing this.

Just like any other fuse, this one is there for a reason. This is an example of the whole point of this thread.

That's even better....using them when you spray paint!!

John
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard