ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 198 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I'm one to read over instructions and follow them... Most of the time. However, I run into the occasional one that defies logic.

Case in point:

Step 1 says to hang the strap first, sans fixture. (Not the way I'd do it...)

[Linked Image from users.stargate.net]

Later, step 9 has one weaving it together...

(I'd do this before I'd hang the strap)

Then later still, in step 12, one gets to twist the thing together, hopefully on an AFCI circuit. This fixture's chain is larger than the canopy hole (7/8") and the screw collar.
(I would make the chain small enough (or canopy hole and screw collar large enough) to get the canopy out of the way and fasten the strap on last!

Wouldn't you?

(Am I just missing something again?)

[Linked Image]

Did I bust code by hanging it up my own way?

(I used a shorty screwdriver, put the strap on last, and lots of cursing ensued...)

What would you do?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-18-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
What I would do is read the instructions,jump on them repeatedly, then burn them in as hotter fire as possible.
The quality of language in these instructions, vary from confusing to down right un-intelligible, depending on who translated it from Spanish or French or whatever language.
The Pictures only serve to muddy the whole situation, I would like to see helpful pictures AND real information in these instructions.
Mind you, Sparky, these types of fittings are always a pain in the A***, to put up, I've hung heaps of them, with many tears and swear words. [Linked Image]

C
C-H Offline
Curious: What is the distance between the screws that go into the box? What is the max load? (lbs, not amps!)

(The box look just like ours on the other side of the pond, but we have a hook in the middle and a socket outlet. Hang lamp. Plug in. Put on cover. Finito. In theory, at least. [Linked Image] )

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 11-19-2002).]

Distance between screws = a little less than 4".

Box is good for up to 35 lbs. then a ceiling fan box is required.

This fixture weighs only about 15 lbs.

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
T
Somebody say "hot fire"? [Linked Image]

2500 degrees good enough?

TW

S
Hang lamp. Plug in. Put on cover. Finito.

C-H,

i would subscribe to that.

i think the majority of fixtures sold here are crap. i won't sell them because i refuse to back them up.

i'll install them usually cursing the powers that be whom let them market here.

T
That's why in Austria we just have a hook and 2 (or 3) wires hanging out of the ceiling. If the hook is solid enough and driven deep into a ceiling joist you may as well hang 200 lbs. Connections are made with strip connectors hanging in mid-air, then hook and connectors are hidden by a cup shaped cover. (Pendant fixtures) Other fixtures are just anchored to the ceiling, regardless of what it is made of (anchors into drywall, screws into plaster lathes, or if lucky joists,...)

A couple of weeks ago I got a GE 200A 3P main breaker.
Included were "mouting instructions"(their misspell, not mine).
"Torque to at least 90 inlbs.", with a picture (suggested method) of a crescent wrench turning a screwdriver (hopefully, square shank).
How does one calibrate the crescent wrench??

Is nothing sacred? [Linked Image]

Lessee... You could leave the jaw of the crecent wrench loose enough to slip at 90 in/lbs...

[Linked Image]

In reality, I have to use a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter, a 1/4" socket, and put a flat tip in the end, hold it all together and use it with my torque-wrench...

But, then again, I don't have a torque-crecent-wrench!!

[Linked Image]

So, how do these examples tie in with 110.3(B)? Are we violating code by exercising good judgement?

Damned if I do, damned if I don't...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-19-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
Trumpy: "The quality of language in these instructions, vary from confusing to down right un-intelligible, depending on who translated it from Spanish or French or whatever language."

---

I'm a fluent Spanish reader/writer/speaker and so-so in French. I tried reading the Spanish translation of these instructions and the grammatical errors were atrocious. No wonder you can't understand them!!!! [Linked Image]

"Fijar el correa" should be "Fijar LA correa" (femenine).

Other such errors abound.

I believe the instructions are translated from Chinese by people who are doing it on a rush job.

In most cases it is safe to ignore the instructions and proceed with the most logical and safest way possible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard