ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#169184 09/28/07 11:41 AM
Niko Offline OP
Have any of you used this kit to repalace a ZINSCO interior?
I favor complete replacement of the panel to SQUARE-D, but this retrofit does not sound bad.

What do you think?

http://www.inspect-ny.com/electric/Zinscoreplace.htm

Thanks.

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

J
I think replacing the whole panel would be the best approach. However, If this replacement (guts) are UL approved and have been proven safe, then why not?

I used to be a Square D fanatic. I have one in my own home. Would'nt settle for anything less.
But, I now am open to others such as Cutler Hammer, GE, Gould ect....

Square D panels only accept Square D breakers. And I like to know that I will be more than 90% sure that I have a breaker that will fit, with me in the middle of the night.

Now, I do not know anything about their Homeline panels. I think thats what they are called.

Cat Servant
From a theoretical perspective, I really like the idea of just replacing the panel guts and cover- especially when the old panel is recessed and piped in. Yet, I have yet to do it this "easy" way.

Why? Because the cost of the one retrofit kit I priced was at least five times the cost of a new panel.

You would think that someone would make their panels to the same overall dimensions as someone else ... but it appears that a deliberate effort has been made to ensure that today's cover never fits yesterday's panel.

Schneider owns both Sq D and the current version of FPE (in Canada). One would think that Sq D would market interchange kits here, to facilitate replacing FPE panels here, using Sq D products .... but such is not the case.

Heck, I have a damaged GE panel that needs new guts ... and I've yet to find any GE resource that will identify the GE guts I need to get to replace the existing ones!

The panel makers certainly have the information necessary to allow for the replacement of panel interiors, but have mainly chosen to play 'dumb.'

Link Copied to Clipboard