ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#169158 09/27/07 08:02 PM
S
As most of you know i do very little resi work but today i came accross in a attic j-box 5 neutrals and 5 neutrals spliced together with a single # 12 neutral as a jumper between the two. although properley rated for the 20 amp ccircut is this permissible? I am very concerned as this is the bosses license going on this job. I will talk to him tomorrow and the inspecction on our work is monday but you thoughts and comments are apprecciated . This is a 1950s prefab house which we did the service changeover & a new garage. I opened the box cause i found 3 romex cables going into one connector.A violation in itself. Eagle eyes with Bi-focals. Thanks gang. Always Steve

T
Usually connections are made like this to fit the wire nuts. I don't know of any violation. Personally, I'd put them all together with a split bolt.

Dave

S
If it's all fed from the same 20A circuit and connections made per UL listings, it shouldn't be a problem. Now, box fill and wire nut rating might come into play, too... how many #12 is a red nut listed for? Are they all securely in the nuts?

G
Sounds more like a place for a blue one.

Greg Fretwell
J
Do they still make those "crimp sleeves" with the rubber boot. Now that is a good connection. But I do not think they are suited for solid wires.

S
I talked to the boss today and took a picture of it to show him with the digital camera. He said not a problem we just put a box extender on the J-box and i made sure all the connections were secure and took one of the romex cables out of the clamp and put it in a new knockout with a cable clamp. Thank you all for your input really appreciate the info. We even go a little more business out of this home owner cause i told them if they run a couple of air conditioners on the same circut they will continually trip the breaker. We run a couple of new circuts this weekend. BOSS IS HAPPY.
Aways,
Steve

M
Otherwise known as a bridge splice. Not a problem if done as described in the original post.( as the others have stated)

Link Copied to Clipboard