ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 527 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ann: Klein makes a variety of tools. A lot of people think of various pliers as "Kleins." smile

G
Fall off that ladder with the screwdriver in your pocket and you will know why people have tool pouches. We had a guy go down in a computer room with a 6" screwdriver in his hip pocket that almost took out a kidney.

Greg Fretwell
J
Greg, I found out that my back problems were due to the carrying of pouches and the work in general. My doctor advised against it. That is why I don't use one any more.

Bottom Line: My back wins everytime.

Last edited by JValdes; 09/28/07 12:53 PM.
I've had the wire and chain type tape holder slip into the tool holder hole on the top of a 6' stepladder. I didn't notice it.

Tools spilled out on me as I went down, and the whole thing, ladder, me and hung up pouch, went buns over binoculars on to the ground. I was pretty much unhurt, the same might not have been said had it been a 10' or 12' ladder.

You might want to cut them off if your pouches have them.

Darned good point, Scott.
I had one of them tape holders on my toolbelt when I first bought it a few years back.
I seem to remember it getting tangled around the wingnut on a TV aerial mast stay while trying to install a TV aerial and not being able to free it or move enough to have a decent look at it, I cut it off in the end, if I carry tape with me it usually sits in one of the top pockets of my overalls anyway.

T
Wow worst I ever have is from time to time bar at the bottom of the chain tape holder flips up and snags in the handles of my lineman's pliers, but I also keep 3-4 colors on the thing usually so there isn't much chain to snag.

Leatherman tools make good paperweights in my opinion.. aside from being good as stage props brandished on survial reality shows, I don't know what they're good for. Screwdrivers too short to be useful.. handles too akward and uncomfortable for heavy use, the blades are ok ,but also in an akward handle, and when it chips or breaks, might as well throw the whole tool out.. rather than throwing away 1 knife or blade your whole toolbox goes in the trash. The cutters at the back of the pliers aren't that great either.. dimple them once cutting something and using the pliers will become such a chore you'll want to throw the whole thing out as well. I suppose on the good side, leathermans never wear out, because you usually break one of the tools essential to whatever you do daily, which renders the whole thing crippled or 1/5 as useful as it was before and you just end up throwing out a barely worn out but only partially functional tool.

One-tool one-purpose is cheapest and most efficient in the long run.
Not a big fan of leatherman for production work, just so-so for casual
hobby kinda work.

S
I used to wear a pouch every day with every tool that could reasonably come in handy. Then somebody pointed out to me that tool belts are very bad for your back. So much so that apparently around here if you work union you aren't even allowed to wear a tool belt. So I started wearing my pouch less frequently...and I found that I needed it less frequently. In my coveralls I keep: Kleins, side-cutters, Klein 10-in-1, tape in one front pocket, marrettes in the other pocket. In one chest pocket goes my notebook, pen, pencil, sharpie, tie-wraps and chewing gum, other chest pocket gets the cell phone and voltage tester. All that and still nothing in the back pockets. If needed I can still fit in my tape measure, torpedo level and strippers. Any more than that and I just put the tool belt on! Plus I always keep my tool pouch(es) close at hand just in case.
Bottom line...my back thanks me.
As for a Leatherman, I've never owned one. I've wanted one, just couldn't find a good enough reason to spend that kind of dough on a toy.

Shawn.

I have to say this,
I've never carried one of these "multi-tools", even to the extent of never using a multi-bit screwdriver.
I was always taught that you have one tool for one purpose.
That sort of thinking would tend to make the Leatherman tool a "jack of all trades" tool, but a master of none.
I have a tool belt, but only put in it the tools I am likely to use for a given job.
I would certainly never use anything but an insulated screwdriver (or spanner for that matter) in a panel or place like that.
Please remember that these multi-tools are made for occasional use, not everyday use as a tradesman would require.
I carry a pocket knife with me on my belt, it's with me all the time that I'm wearing pants, I keep the thing razor sharp.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Cat Servant
Trumpy, I'll not argue your general point: almost every 'multiple task' widget I've used has performed poorly in every task - and there was very little in the way of weight or bulk savings. If you do a task with any regularity, it's worth having a proper tool.

Yet, there have been exceptions.

The Leatherman "Wave" and "Squirt e4" are among the exceptions to the rule. Quality construction is a big part of it ... there is a 'night and day' difference between a cheap clone and the 'real thing.' I like to think of them as "Swiss Army Pliers" laugh

They're mostly of value when you are caught with an unexpected need for a tool.

Returning to our original poster's question, though .... for the life of me, I can't imagine an apprentice having a real 'need' for any of them. I do see a need for a 'pocket pouch' like I posted above; perhaps a proper box cutter should be in it.

S
Trumpy... I'm a little surprised that you have never used a multi-bit screwdriver. It seems that pretty much every person I work with has a Klein 10-in-1 now, and I figured that it was pretty much the norm now. Personally, I love 'em. The nut drivers are great, especially when installing lots of fluorescent light fixtures with the phillips head ground screw that also will accept a 1/4" (I think?) nut driver. All I have to do is pull out my robertson bit and I have the proper size nut driver.
My favourite multi-bit is an Ideal unit that has a wirenut driver indented into the handle end. I twist and trim all my splices, then insert my screwdriver shaft-first into my drill, set the clutch to 4, insert a wirenut, place it onto the splice, and pull the trigger. Presto! the wirenut's on. It saves my wrist from twisting them all on.
and that's my $0.02

Shawn.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard