ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
32VAC Offline OP

September 23, 2007 05:26pm
Article from: Agence France-Presse

A BOY is in hospital with serious injuries after he touched overhead power cables above a railway line in Melbourne's southeast.

The boy, who was believed to be aged between 10 and 14, received a huge electric shock after he climbed up a gantry beside the Frankston-Melbourne rail line at Seaford and reached out to the power lines, police said.

A group of youths found the youngster lying on a dirt track next to the train line about 3pm (AEST), police spokeswoman Catherine Jess said.

"We believe the boy has climbed about 10m up the gantry next to the railway line and touched the overhead power line and fallen back to the ground," she said.

"It appears he was alone, and so far we don't know who he is or where he's from."

Melbourne Metropolitan Ambulance Service (MAS) spokesman Ray Rowe said the boy had burns to his upper and lower body, as well as a broken leg.

"He's in a pretty bad way, but it's too early to say how extensive his injuries and burns are."

The boy was in the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22467056-29277,00.html

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
H
Damn.... you'd think kids that age would be smarter than that!

Darren,
This really both saddens and annoys me.
How on earth, was a kid able to climb 10m (30ft) up a tower and contact live conductors?.
Surely the railways safety authorities require some sort of barriers or shielding to prevent un-authorised access to their towers.
This kid (if he survives the burns he has received) will be dis-figured for life.

I
Had a similar scenario here in Liverpool, kid then wanted to sue the railway company for compo even though it was his fault.

P
I read about a case a few years ago where somebody tried to commit suicide by jumping in front of a subway train, survived, and then attempted to sue the New York Transit Authority for his injuries. His lawyers claimed they hadn't done enough to make him aware of the dangers of jumping in front of trains!

You just couldn't make it up, could you? crazy

Link Copied to Clipboard